Hemingway In The Battle Of The Hurtgen Forest

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 13 October 2004 - 09:51 PM

I thought that this was pretty cool..In November,Ernest finally got a chance to see front line action with Lanham's regiment in the Hurtgen forest. He had already been in trouble over carrying sidearms (Strictly taboo for a war correspondent). However, he probably saved Lanham's life on November 22nd during a German infantry attack on his headquarters. Lanham's headquarters commandant, Captin. Mitchell, was killed instantly by the hail of bullet fire. Showing his characteristic lack of personal fear, Hemingway charged into the melee, killing several Germans with bursts from a Thompson sub-machine gun and breaking up the attack. So, was this his personal Thompson that he would later use to shoot sharks?

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (mp40 @ Oct 13 2004, 09:51 PM)
Showing his characteristic lack of personal fear, Hemingway charged into the melee, killing several Germans with bursts from a Thompson sub-machine gun and breaking up the attack. So, was this his personal Thompson that he would later use to shoot sharks?

I doubt it was his personal Thompson shown in the shark shooting picture. That picture was taken prior to WWII, I believe, and clearly looks like a Colt made Thompson. It is unlikely they allowed him to bring it overseas with him and carry it around. The gun was more than likely one of the officer's guns located at the headquarters you describe.

#3 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:13 AM

Chuck, do you have that picture? I have searched for it but have only seen it at "The Complete Angler" in Bimini. They have a very old one hanging on the walls of Hemingways room.

#4 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:47 AM

Hey Mike,

No I don't, but I'll try to find it for you and email you a copy.

#5 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:20 AM

Mike,

I sent you an email with the picture attached.

Regarding the model of Thompson in the shark shooting picture, it is clearly a Model 1921A and the picture was taken in Bimini in 1936, so it had to be a Colt gun.

#6 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:26 AM

Could one of you post it on the board here? I've heard about this pic but never seen it.

#7 ThompsonCrazy

ThompsonCrazy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:27 AM

Guys, Here is a link where I found it.

http://www.antiquefi...ig/MVC-085L.JPG

#8 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:10 AM

That's one. The other is him firing with the smoke around the barrel. Action shot. Thanks for that link.

#9 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 14 October 2004 - 11:36 AM

Who is Hemingway? Wasn't he some dead fag writer or something? smile.gif

#10 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:24 PM

It isn't surprising that those whose reading material consists of lite beer labels never heard of Hemingway. But why one would think it prudent to advertise one's literary deficiencies is indeed a mystery.

#11 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:29 PM

Yes he's dead, yes he was a writer, I can't speak for the fag part. I know he followed the troops and wrote for Colliers's magazine (see [/U]Citizen Soldiers[U] by Stephen Ambrose). I never heard that he got involved in combat or saved anybody's life though. The account in Ambrose' book ain't very complimentary, so this is news to me. He just went up 100 pts in my estimation though if it's true.

#12 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Chuck, got the email. I'm going to work on the picture to print it out. There is also one I have seen of him firing into the water on the docks at some sharks swimming by. It's a action shot with smoke at the front of the gun. Or it's a bad photo. It's hanging on the wall at the Angler in Bimini if anyone gets over there.

user posted image

#13 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

The ‘action shot’ photo Mike is talking about is one I have seen and would like to see again; anyone have a lead?

#14 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:42 PM

user posted image

Here's one I found...if it doesn't work I'll post it on my site and link to it..

#15 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 04:54 PM

Not much smoke and action in that photo, Hawkeye Joe.

Can't say I've ever heard anything about EH having an alternate lifestyle, and he did have a couple of pretty hot granddaughters till the one took after him and off'ed herself. EH swaller'd a shotgun barrel and I believe she used pills.

EH did suffer from bi-polar disorder (used to be called manic-depression) which is where, perhaps, the "bi" confusion has originated. EH is believed to have killed himself while in a severe depressive mode.

I've fished some of the places he wrote about. Didn't have much luck. Based on the bad luck fishing, I've decided not to run with the bulls at Pampalona.

#16 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 05:25 PM

Not much smoke and action in that photo, Hawkeye Joe

Yeah I realize that it's not the one everyone's looking for but it's one that hasn't been posted...

No "smoke and action" but..this one looks more like me passed out with mine in my arms after watching "Sahara".. laugh.gif

I thought it was a cool shot..

#17 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2402 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:04 PM

Mike,

Haven't seen the one you describe. The one you posted is the only one I've seen.

Hawkeye Joe,

Neat photo, haven't seen that one either.

#18 TommyFan

TommyFan

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Hawkeye,

Si senor! Looks like a south of the border Thompson shot, with "Papa" snoozing or snockered on cheap Mexican wine.

#19 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

There is a pretty cool book by Dan Simmons called
"The Crook Factory". Although it is a novel, it is based on Hemingway's
proposition to the War department when he was living in Cuba, late thirties, to set up a spy network and use his boat to search around for Nazi subs. It's a good read, and after I checked into it, he did indeed persue this,
running about Havana bay with his boat and Thompson. Quite a rough guy, "Fag" or not. smile.gif
Zamm

#20 TNKen

TNKen

• Regular Group
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, machine guns, defensive handgun competition, snow skiing and ski patrol, my children

Posted 14 October 2004 - 09:12 PM

Anyone that lived in the Keys in the 30's was tough. Not like today with roads and planes and hurricane detection centers.

Ken