Hemingway In The Battle Of The Hurtgen Forest

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:05 PM

Old Ernie was a tough old bird no matter how well you liked him or not. Sure he was a bit nutsy, but to travel and do all this bird did back then, well for fucks sake, I'd sell my mother on the black market to have done half of that, then or now. You have to admit, if you like his writing or thought he was a wind bag, he did it all, or damn close. And he has a great looking grand-duaghter!

#22 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 14 October 2004 - 10:46 PM

Here is a stolen yes harredde stolen excerpt..... I wulda paid to see that sperm whale episode... Now he would have to clear out the Greenies with the tsmg before attempting it....

"Even at sea, Hemingway's quarry sometimes took on a hunter's rather than a piscatorial air, one that was often steeped in bravado. He sometimes shot sharks with the Thompson sub-machine gun that he kept on board his ship, the Pilar. With his crew, whom he dubbed the "Crook Factory," he hunted German submarines in the Gulf Stream during World War II. That summer of 1943 for target practice Patrick and Gregory shot flying fish from the bow of the ship with a .22 rifle as the fish skimmed the surface of the water. On another memorable outing on the Pilar, Hemingway attempted to spear a sperm whale with a harpoon propelled from a sawed-off shotgun specially jerry-rigged for the purpose. "

I wouldn't mess with him...

#23 tecnolli

tecnolli

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Music (60's/70's), Friends, technical history, and of course shooting.

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:35 AM

I consider EH for one of the most fascinating individuals of the 20s century.

And i consider *For whom the bell tolls* for the best book i've ever read.

...besides *The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy* of course... laugh.gif

#24 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:12 AM

'Big Two Hearted River' is the only Hemingway I will read and only because it was written about a river here in Michigans UP.

Like his contemporary Adolph Hitler, EH was literary hack and wrote in a bombastic, verbose style to make up for his lack of substance. Most of his work wold not pass a college level writting course. He wrote in a genre taken from the 1880's dime novel and invented nothing new himself. But since this style had not been seen for few years he struck note with some readers like college profesors, with no real adventure in thier own lives they read him started singing his praises as a 'mans man' and a great writter. EH and Hitler were, and still are, a best selling authors, despite their lack of writting skills

Most of his die hard fans lived vicariously through him and his adventures. Somehow, randomly killing things to no good end never impressed me.

While Hemingway himself never commited to any great endevour, other than himself, he constantly tried to carve a nitche in history for himself durring WWII. Stories of him leading a band of French Communist resistance around Normandy are greatly exaggerated. Find out which side of the lines he was on at this time. Not a lot of fighting going on where he was.
He was allways bugging the War Department with some hairbrained scheme to find self promoting glory. Witness the idea to hunt U-Boats: How the hell would he do this and what exactly would he do once he caught one? Ride it home to Norfolk?

His tooling around Cuba probably did more to alert U-boats and keep them vigillant to the presence of USN surface hunter/killer groups than anything else. Hell, he probably saved a few German lives! Hey! We should get him the Iron Cross posthumously.

As for "most fascinating individual(s) of the 20s century." Is the child running around at a family gathering pulling on everyones coat tales the 'most fascinating' person there? Hemingway could not stand being out of the spotlight and when it finaly dimmed and his writting no longer had a place in mainstream America he did what he did best: he grabed one final headline.

If any thing, the fact that chemically addicted, moody, self impressed, a-holes like EH and Kurt Cobaine shoot them selves sould be used as shining example of WHY we need to keep guns in the hands of citizens:It purges the genetic pool.

#25 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:50 AM

Stop holding back so much.....let us know how you REALLY feel about him................... laugh.gif

#26 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 09:09 AM

Sorry there Joe. I was once forced to read six of his books and write three huge papers on EH in one semester by an evil professor who thought the sun rose and set on EH. We had Hemingway for breakfast lunch and diner for 12 weeks. I guess I have post traumatic stress disorder!!