Photo
- - - - -

Atf Thompson Transfer - What Can I Do?!?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

Just an update - I called again today.

"NFA"

"Hi, I would like to check the status of a transfer."

I give her the serial number and my name.

Halfway throught my last name - "Pending" - doesn't even let me finish my two syllable last name.

"Can you tell if there is any movement on my fingerprint cards?"

"No... you just turned them in on the 5th of October".

"No I didn't maam. My compelete form set with duplicate forms, finger print cards and proof of citizenship plus a check for $200 was submitted by my dealer the first week of May. My check was cashed and I was told pending as of May 6th."

"Hold on". (Pause).... "Its still pending"

"Ok, well, you know this has been over 6 months now, I was told I would hear something within 30 days from the FBI since I spoke to Tammy, I want to see if there is anything that I do to help to get the process moving."

(Pause). "Well, you need to talk to your examiner, Jo Anne".

"Maam, I have talked to Tammy. I was told she was my examiner when I called over a month ago and she had my paper work right in front of her the one and only time I talked to her over the phone.,"

"Really???" (Pause).

"I don't really care at this point, I will talk to anyone who will listen to me."

(Pause) "Ok, let me transfer you"

"Thank you".

... and I get Tammys voice mail for the 4th time in five weeks. I leave the standard polite message around lunch time. No call back and I have caller ID at work so I didn't miss her call.

They don't know who is doing what anymore. I am so screwed.

So, lets recap:

* 6+ months and no movement since the 5th of May
* NFA has no idea who is handling my case
* No answers or callbacks from my examiner or her supervisor.
* Others are getting <45 day COMPLETE turn around.

Is it now time to draft a letter and fax it? Anyone know to whom? This is getting my blood pressure up now.

mad.gif

Chris

Edited by DC Chris, 10 November 2004 - 09:52 PM.

#22 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:12 PM

Call them early in the morning. Right after they get to work.

#23 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns&lt;br&gt;Golf when not shooting or reading this board&lt;br&gt;Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)&lt;br&gt;My dogs (screw the cat)&lt;br&gt;My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 10 November 2004 - 08:50 PM

OK, OK, OK, I know we’re pissed. That’s not gonna fix anything. I’ve been there and I know. Obviously something is wrong and the real problem is that no one really knows who you should be talking to.

I don’t know exactly when it happened but somewhere in the late summer – up to and including October, examiners were changed and who you may have had in May is not now the same. Generally, if your package was received and “pending” before the change, the old examiner would still have the paperwork.

However, and I don’t know this for sure, but I’ll bet that somehow your package, or part of it, has gotten split between old and new examiner. That’s probably why they don’t know who you should talk to….?

I’d draft a fax. Simple but clear as to dates and events. Be sure to begin the dissertation with your name and Ser. #. I personally would address it to Dawn Henson. She’s a supervisor. I’ve spoken to her many times and she’s always been very, very nice. She just worked out a real FUBAR for me about 3 weeks ago. Examiners changed and my package was “lost”.

Send the fax, ((202) 927-8601)) . Dawn should call you back in a day or so. She always called me.

If this doesn’t break it loose, at least you’ve got your paper trail for the call to your Rep. / Senator.

My $.02

Good luck

#24 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI &amp; WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:21 PM

Try asking for the name of the branch chief of the nfa, and leave him a polite message. maybe he will call you back or at least unstick your application.

I found that the best time was to call an examiner was around 9:30 (got their first cup of coffee, had a chance to read the Washington post, etc. then answer their daily quota of incoming calls), or around 1:30 (back from a long lunch and a trip to the can). If that doesn't work, try calling every 20-30 min. Sooner or later, you will get the examiner and can ask what the heck is going on.

Don't expect a call back from an examiner. Everyone who I have spoken with have said that they don't return calls, in spite of what they say on voice mail.

Anybody know what the newly nominated AG has to say on gun control issues? Maybe he can unstick this mess.

Sniper

#25 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:46 PM

I guess that is the frustrating part.

I have called Dawn. I did leave very polite messages that were clear and to the point. I never got any calls back.

I even verified a week ago that Dawn was still Tammy's supervisor.

I know these people are busy, and the last thing I want to do is bug them. I'm now calling once a week, and I really don't want to do that.

hardrede & Brickyard, I wouldn't say upset, just frustrated at not being able to get any information or get to talk to any real live human beings. It just seems like I am going nowhere and the situation gets more disorganized as time passes on.

Brickyard - Thanks (and to Mike, snipershot, everyone) for the advice. I guess I will draft a clean and polite fax to Dawn and see what happens. Thanks for the input and number. What do I have to lose at this point? sad.gif I wish my senators and reps were gun friendly, but here in the Peoples Republic of Maryland they are liberal anti-gunners... who didn't get my vote last week.

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris, 11 November 2004 - 12:04 AM.

#26 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 10:49 PM

Hmmmm.. a tour of the NFA branch... I like that idea! This is why this board is great.

I actually only live two counties away from DC right up 95. Hell, I was born there and used to go there for work and Redskins games quite a bit.

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris, 10 November 2004 - 10:50 PM.

#27 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:34 AM

I have relatives in Crofton (just outside of DC) and I was there this summer. Never once gave it a thought to do a tourof the branch...wish I would have. Did make it to the NRA museum though.

Keep up the fight DC eventually you'll hit the right button and be rewarded. Good Luck !!

Chuck

#28 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:31 PM

First Sergeant-

That is where my brother and parents currently live right by the main golf course. Small world, eh?

I sent a fax last night with a redacted copy of my cashed check, based on the advice on the thread. Obviously, the BATF was closed today and I would think most people would take off tomorrow too. Hopefully, something will move next week before Thanksgiving week.

Chris.

Edited by DC Chris, 11 November 2004 - 07:32 PM.

#29 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock &amp; Roll

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:33 PM

I've been following Chris' plight with much interest as we are both residents of the Peoples Republic of Maryland, have WH 28's pending and had hoped to go make some noise with our Westies before the end of '04. Although I was quite aways behind Chris in the approval process, at his urging I called the ATF on Nov 14th, realizing that I was only 85 days into the process.

I got the ususal curt 'pending' response from the guy who answers the phone. I asked to talk to the examiner and without even a "please hold" was put through to Barbara Franklin's voicemail. I left her a message asking her to call me back which of course I didn't expect. I was pleasantly surprised when she called me back in about 15 minutes. She told me that my photos had become seperated from the documents and they had been returned to the dealear on Sept. 14. I called the dealer who said he had not received them but would call the ATF to inquire. 4 days later the paperwork showed up at the dealer. He didnt show me the post marked enveloped but he figures my call prompted someone to move them off their desk. They may have been sitting on his but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway I Fedex'd the paperwork back last week, tracked the shipment and saw that it was delivered, called the lovely and gracious Barbara today and she said my application was 'pending'. When I askd if she received the Fedex, she said that it was probably here somewhere but she hadnt seen it yer and would let me know if it didnt show up.

I think I'll call her on Wednesday. Moral of the story is, dont wait, call!

#30 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:15 PM

Since this was brought back up....

I sent a fax a few weeks ago to Dawn Henson. I listed my data, explained the timeline and told her what I did and what I was told. Even sent a redacted copy of the check. All I asked was for a call back within 3 days.

Of course, she never called. Sending a fax was a big waste of time. No movement two weeks ago. I don't even bother calling anymore.

So, I freaking give up. My dealer will have to take care of it.

Chris.

#31 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:56 PM

DC Chris,

Hang in there ! I discoverd the problem with my fingerprint cards after one of two pending transfers was approved and delivered; a Reising M50. The other pending transfer has it's 14 week aniversary tomorrow but still no word on it.

Unfortunately, the problem with the fingerprint cards (wrong ORI) wasn't discovered until 5 hours after sending in the paperwork on an M1A1. I mailed corrected cards to Dawn Henson, which was the approving signature on my approved transfer, requesting she forward the cards to the examiner who would be handling the M1A1 transfer. I haven't received a response on the cards nor did I expect one.

Apparently having one very recent transfer approved has no bearing on the length it takes to approve another one.

Chris, I hope you hear something very soon......you've done your time.

Good Luck

Chuck