Thompson X Drum Value

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:15 AM

Hello Guys.

A new Thompson X drum came with my recent TSMG acquisition. I have an L drum to replace it in the case and have no use for the X drum.

Does anybody have any idea as to the value of a new X drum? What's the best way to sell it?

Thanks

Sniper

snipershot1944@yahoo.com

#2 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1630 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:10 AM

Sniper with the sunset of the AWB the X drum would be even less desirable than before. One can buy a new one for $171 from Auto Ordnance.Auto Ord X drum.
I would think if you could get $100 for it you would be doing good. I believe the areas where this would be attractive are as follows:
States such as Commifornia and New York and others where the local laws ban full capacity magazines, either for display or shooting.
A collector looking for a drum purely for display purposes.
I'd say offer here or on Sturmweher or even Evilbay (not sure if an X drum is legal there though).

#3 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 11:17 AM

i would think that if you could even get the cost of shipping it somewhere, you would doing good.

#4 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:24 PM

Arizona Gun Runners has had X drums forever for $107.95 so I could never understand the $171 price.
Let me know what you want for it. I could use it for dispalys.

#5 snipershot1944

snipershot1944

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 330 posts
  • Interests:US, German Military WWI & WWII weapons, US, German, British sniper rifles. Virginia State Police items.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:56 PM

Sold to Paul for a display gun.

Many thanks

Sniper

#6 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (brian @ Nov 7 2004, 11:17 AM)
i would think that if you could even get the cost of shipping it somewhere, you would doing good.

Are you sure you can still get that much???? laugh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4582 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:54 PM

They were around $50-$75 for used at the last show.

#8 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 07 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

Maybe someone will come up with a conversion kit to make it into an L drum.

#9 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:39 PM

Saturday at the San Antonio gun show a clip/magazine dealer had a well worn West Hurley 39 round drum for sale...a mere $800... blink.gif uh ...thanks...uh I think my wife is calling...I'll get back to you on that...

#10 Reenactor

Reenactor

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:39 AM

Dan, on this board, in Iowa, makes a ring and does a conversion to bring an X up to 30 rounds. I had purchased an X a few years ago just for display purposes. So Dan comes along on the boards last month and presents the opportunity--for $65 plus shipping, do you want to have a 30-round drum, or sit there with a 10? I figure 3/5 of a "real" drum is worth $65.

#11 Abwehr

Abwehr

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Love Firearms

Posted 11 November 2004 - 08:54 AM

Hello All,

I don't post much, but I do read the Forum daily. Most of you guys provide answers to all my questions if I do a search!

As to Dan Block's conversion, I had him convert my "X" Drum and he did a great job!!! I am well pleased with his work and now I have a 30 rounder instead of a 10 rounder. If you want to do the conversion work yourself, Dan has the internal "Ring" only for sale too. Unfortunantly, the spring in the "X" Drum is not strong enough to make it into a 50 rounder.

Do a search for the 30 round conversion and you can see photos of the "Ring" he manufactures. I think the thread is in early-mid September time.

By the way, here is the web address for Dan Block. This will give you contact information: http://home.rconnect.com/~danlaura/

Edited by Abwehr, 11 November 2004 - 08:58 AM.