Line Thrower?

I don't ever remember reading anything about this "kit".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...2283551503&rd=1

Does anyone have a picture of a complete kit - or know what book has one in it?

It does seem interesting - perfect addition for your overstamp! (No, it is not mine!) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I believe this to be a case for line throwing equipment produced by H&R arms during WWII for the Navy and Coast Guard. H&R converted many Springfield M1884 rifles to this use and short, thick barrels were characteristic of the modification. The government also procured a round called the Cartridge, .45, Line Throwing, M32. The converted M1884 Springfields used the M32 cartridge and retained their original .45-70 chambering.

This case looks completely different than the earlier case for the specially made M1903 line-throwing rifle, and the markings on it mention .45, but not the TSMG. Can't really imagine the TSMG ever being converted to line throwing (as in at-sea refueling or ship-to-ship transfers), or the .45 M1911 pistol either, as recoil is in direct proportion to the mass and speed of the projectile and (in the case of the pistol) we'd be looking at broken wrists! Also, I can find no references to government-procured blank or line-throwing .45 M1911 ammunition.

Post war, the M87 and M87 Mod 1 top-break line throwers were developed and produced by H&R and the Mod 1 is in use today. I believe that one of these is the model that PK remembers.

The photo of the ebay item does show markings of cal .45, so I'm not sure M-1 or M-14 would be right.

Wouldn't it be possible for this to be for a 1911 pistol??

Howard will do the research and I’m looking forward to seeing what he comes up with. I don’t believe for two seconds that the Thompson had a line throwing kit- it doesn’t make sense.

The line throwing guns we used in ‘72 were H&R made and were, basically, their single barrel break open gun with a line throwing barrel in place. I don’t remember if top or side lever opening for sure, but I believe top. This was a standard commercial gun design in W.W.II and I wouldn’t be surprised if they used them then. The guns should have been take down and, if so, would have fit into the case shown in the picture.

The M32 cartridge is a 45/70 case containing a propellant charge with a card over wad, lacquer sealed. I am still using some of these cases that I “collected” at the time in my Marlin 1895 today.