Ceiner .22 Conversion

I just got two of my 10 rd. Thompson Mags. back from John,after having them opened up to 30rd. capacity.(He really did do it for free,as stated in his ads.)Now I am familiar with the previous threads on this topic,but I would like to share my experience.

I guess I have been one fo the lucky few,but I have obtained excellent results in my Savage M1.Rarely jams,and fairly accurate.The 30 rd. mag capacity actually makes the endeavor worthwhile. I am getting a cycle rate between 950-1050/min.

That said,I have found that my kit is very ammunition specific.It will only work well with 40 grain round nose high speed rounds,Remington seems to work best.Hypervelocity lower weight rounds (29 or 32 grain) seem to fail to eject.

I tried the unit (I bought the combo kit) in my friends AO 1928a1 with good results as well.Cycle rate was slower about 800-850/min. I guess maybe the Blish lock probably slows it a little.

Well,I know some of the board members have a very low opinion of the Ceiner system,but I wanted to share my positve experience,especially with the hi-cap mags.I can usually do about 4-5 "mag dumps",and then the unit will start failing to extract.So far,cleaning has solved this situation.One thing hasn't changed though. J.C. could seriously use some "sensitivity training"!!

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Good of you to report on the Ceiner 22 saga. I too was interested in it until I was schooled because I have a WH, you had a better shot with your non WH gun so I am really happy for you. I took my frustration for not being able to buy the 22 conversion and bought a Norrell 10/22 and an AM180- Alas, someday I will give it a go.

Mark

PhilOhio,

Thanks for your comments.Doh on my Blish lock thought.I knew better,just wasn't thinking!Still wonder why the 1928A1 still cycles significantly slower? Any engineering thoughts?

REISINGSTAR http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

My guess (and only a guess) is that the particular M1 and the particular '28 had different rof's because of the stiffness of the respective recoil springs in the guns. ROF depends on a number of things, but everything else being equal, the so-called "k factor", that is, spring stiffness should theoretically be the major factor in determining rof.

Why not try swapping recoil springs to see what happens?

MP

My heretofore absolutely reliable '21 began jamming and eventually stopped with the bolt in the retracted position and could not be released. I was sure that something in the lower receiver had broken, but disassembly with the sear holding the bolt in the rear position is impossible. After some protracted thought, removed the safety and used a small punch to reach in and depress the sear allowing

the bolt to go forward and allow separation of the upper and lower receivers. Disassembly of the lower found the recess completely full of gunk. Cleaming returned the '21 to its usual reliability. (I have always carefully cleaned the gun after each firing, but resisted disassembling the lower due to not wanting to chance scaring the lower in the rermoval of the spring plate. )