What Thompson To Buy?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 NFACollector

NFACollector

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 06:49 PM

This is my first post and I want to just jump into the fray.

I don't own any Thompson SMG's yet. I have finished with the MP5, Uzi, Mac, and M16 route and now I looking at the trench broom.

I noticed that the 50th Anniversery models that come up for sale move very slowly and seem to be priced lower that other models.

I was just curious as to why?

Thanks and great board!

Edited by NFACollector, 22 November 2004 - 06:50 PM.

#22 NFACollector

NFACollector

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the advice!

I am interested in the 1928 model.

What manufacturers do you recommend priced in the $10 to $17k range?

I will have to keep an eye out now.

#23 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 898 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 05:42 PM

NFACollector,

Welcome!

At $10K I think you'll not find much in the full-auto Thompson field today. At $17K you may well be able to get a decent WWII vintage '28A1 of either Savage or Auto-Ordnance (AOC) manufacture by looking about sharply.

Between that are the West Hurley M1's, the West Hurley '28's, and the WWII vintage M1/M1A1 TSMG's (again either Savage or AOC), generally priced in approximately that order, low to high. Colt Thompsons are not likely to be found below $20K, even in less than 85% condition.

Variations of the TSMG's in your price range abound. You may wish to read "American Thunder" (out of print but still available, soon to be supplanted by American Thunder II"), "United States Submachine Guns", and "Thompson: The American Legend" to get an idea of what the variations of TSMG's are.

Best of luck in your search and purchase!

#24 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:24 PM

Be sure to check our FAQ....!

#25 NFACollector

NFACollector

• Regular Group
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Nov 24 2004, 10:43 AM)
The WHs had to meet no standards, as long as they would fit into the packing box.

That's pretty funny. Thanks for the tips and the FAQ.

I know my way around HK, UZI, MAC subguns pretty well. However, I know enough only to be dangerous in the Thompson field.

Did any of you happen to notice the Thompson that was for sale about a year ago on a certain machinegun broker site?

It was a registered Thompson in poor condition that had been found in a river bed and supposely had a historical background.

Any know the skinny on it. I was tempted to buy it because it was so cheap but I figured restoring it would make it be too much effort and money.

#26 stevedf

stevedf

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 12:25 PM

I got my 1st nfa last June a WH1928 for 10,500 plus 2X 200 tranfers and I am still waiting for the tax sheet so I can bring baby home. But, my dealer let me shoot my own gun at a range, plus 2 M16s and a mac-9mm. The WH run 700 rds without 1 jam, about 300 were my reloads for uspsa, the m-16s jamed a few times and the mac about twice out of 200rds. I love the 1928 look and I wanted a shooter not an investment, and the price was lower than anything else, plus I called the guy selling it within 1hr of its being posted on subgun.com. About 2 hrs later I called him back for his address for the check, and he had had sbout 25 phone calls in 2 hrs.

#27 stevedf

stevedf

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:45 PM

I dont know, I've got a few other 99% guns a 1931 03A1 at a auction for 255$ Blue book lists it at about 900 and the 1st thing I did was run a box of 06s thru it, The 28 is the same, but a LOT more FUN to shoot. I can hardy wait to bring it home and get a drum for it, already got 10-30rd mags and 4-20rd for it. By the way? what does wps on a 20rder mean?? steve