• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2911 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:43 PM

I recently acquired a Thompson 1928 stock assembly. When I removed the butt plate, I observed the numbers “4586” hand stamped at the top on the inside of the butt plate. I can find no other markings on the butt plate. The numbers are very similar to what is shown on the pictured Colt butt plate on Page 70 of Tracie Hill’s book, Thompson: the American Legend.

Question: Did the USGI 1928 Thompson butt plates have assembly numbers or any kind of hand stamped numbers on the inside of the plate? Could this be a Colt butt plate? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

#2 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:56 AM

TD,
This seems to be normal.
I've got three GI buttplates, 28's, and all have 4 digit hand stamped near the top.
Not sure it's anything special,
Best, Zamm

#3 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:02 AM

TD,

Early 1928 butt stocks, butt plates and slide assemblies were all numbered to match. It is not uncommon to find 1928 butt stocks and metal parts numbered, however, most often the numbers no longer match as a result of arsenal rebuilds.

Colt butt stocks only had the butt stock and butt plate numbered to match, not the slide assembly. The numbered characters on Colt stocks are larger than the WWII variety numbered butt stock parts.

#4 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2911 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:44 PM

Thanks Zamm and gijive. I did not think it was a Colt butt plate but since I had not looked at very many butt plates off the stock I thought it best to ask. The stock is an early 1928 stock without the reinforcing cross bolt.