Sling Question

I bought one of the repo slings and installed it in the max configuration as shown under the FAQ section. Watching a Combat episode I noticed Saunders sling looked to be a lot longer than mine and it looked like his was not done in the max length as shown under FAQ. Are the repos shorter or am I missing something?

The original "No-Buckl" slings are slightly longer than the WWII M3 types. The gun on Combat had an original 1917 "No-Buckl" sling.

If the sling is not configured according to the proper attachment method, it also will appear longer. The gun on Combat didn't have the sling attached according to the original attachment instructions.

I hooked mine up like Saunder's after watching numerous episodes of COMBAT!. Both of the metal ends are clipped to the sling swivels with the upper one clipping first the loop on the sling into the clip and then the clip to the upper swivel. The sling will then be much longer but mostly un-adjustable. It is a bugger to get back off too....I put mine back to the correct way after looking at many photos of the way GI's attached their's..

I think short end goes through the Buttstock swivel, then attaches to it's loop.

Afterwhich the long end goes through the forearm swivel and attaches to it's loop.

Just remember that when it's hooked up properly you shouldn't have a snap directly on top of your shoulder! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

The beauty of the NoBuckl sling is that when it is properly installed there is no loose "metal-on-metal" to make noise....it is truly silent! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

john

. . . unless you are using one of the later M1 slings with the seperate wire loop for the rear buckle. Not all of them had this and it is easily removed with wire cutters, if you want.