Last Round Not Chambered

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tvrc18

tvrc18

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 01:01 PM

Just returned from the range and first outing with my Kahr M1. Gun functioned great and had no jams but the last round in my second magazine failed to chamber. The bolt locked back and I thought I was out of shells but when I took the mag out one round was still in the magazine. I pulled the bolt back and it chambered and fired ok. I am using modified mags and Remington auto pistol shells. Could this be a fluke or maybe the mag needs some clean and a lube. I took the mag apart and cleaned it a few days ago but did not use any oil or anything on it. I know the modified mags are sometimes a problem but they both worked ok other than the last one not loading. Any help would be appreciated as I am new to shooting. thanks

#2 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 26 November 2004 - 11:20 PM

Take a look at the follower to see if the tab may be angled upwards contacting the trip prematurely.

Another possibility may be a weak spring.

Perhaps Paul or Damon could give a little input on it.

#3 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:14 AM

You have suffered premature pawl engagement.

If you are using GI magazines (mag catch hole altered or not), there are other modifications that need to be made in order to prevent this.

Factory mags for the semi are GI mags that have had the mag catch hole moved AND the top of the tab on the follower that engages the trip ground down by 30-50%.

In guns that I convert to use unaltered GI mags, I make changes to the trip and pawl to compensate for this problem and allow the use of any stock GI mag.

If you are going to mod your own magazines to work in semi guns, don’t forget to lower the tab on the follower.