WAC Box Mags

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 11 September 2003 - 07:44 PM

i ordered 6 box's(3-30s/3-20s), maybe a week and half or two weeks ago. i received them today.
everybody said about a heavy grease coating, my six only have a light coat of oil, inside and out.

the 3 30 i ordered were advertised as "as new". and as they and the rifle are going to PK i did'nt mind, but their as new is a *little* different from mine. nothing too bad but i don't think they would work as they are.

most people on here that replied stated that the 20s might be a little "rough", and that they are. once agian nothing terriable bad, or atleast nothing that can't be repaired.

the finish on the 30s looks like a fresh reblueing over what appears to be a good surface. just light dings and a few minor scrapes, i think they look good.

the 20s once agian are a little rougher,and once agian i don't mind(i want shooters not lookers). a fresh rebluing over slight surface rust(cleaned off of course) with very slight pitting. over i'd say 85%-90% of the mag(all 3).

over all i'm happy with them. however i knew when i ordered them that they would be taking a trip as soon as they arrived.

just thought i past this along.

#2 Shane

Shane

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Class 3 , WW2

Posted 12 September 2003 - 09:09 AM

I ordered 10-30rds & 1-20rd from WAC. All of them were junk only 6-30rds would funtion none of the rest would work.

Shane

#3 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 06:20 PM

I just received some parts from Northridge International -- two mag catches and 6 xxx mags. Before I placed the order, I had talked to their employees, and they said all their Thompson parts were new. When I placed the order, I asked specifically whether the mags were new, and an employee said yes.

Well, the mag catches are probably new, but the 6 mags definitely were not. Five are Seymour; one is Auto Ordnance. Three were refinished -- parkarized. There were a few small dents & dings, but the finish is excellent. No. 4 had some sort of scuzzy flat black finish--uglier than a mud fence. Nos. 5&6 were blued, but there were numerous scratches and worn places.

I called them, and they said to send them back and they'd swap them out for better mags or refund my $. Stay tuned.

So is there a good source for 30 rend mags?

#4 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1251 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:33 PM

My advice is to go to gun shows and eyeball 'em yourself to avoid surprises and hassles. I see far more XXX's than XX's at shows, and mostly parked finishes. More and more it seems to a crapshoot with the mail order companies. I'm going to one on Sunday 9/14; I'll report my findings.

Ron

#5 must

must

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 203 posts
  • Interests:all Thompsons, M1 carbines, & early Mustangs

Posted 13 September 2003 - 03:12 AM

biggrin.gif I got some new in the wrapper XXX magazines from Phil Askew @ philfordparts@yahoo.com They were blued, Sey. mags. & were very, very nice! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#6 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:38 AM

At a gun show last weekend one dealer had XX's. Some were "cherry picked" still in the wrapper, brand new at $40/ea. The rest ($25/ea.) were in grease and in baggies. Some had the soldered view holes, all were fair to poor. The dealer said they ordered a bunch and the assortment was what they got.

#7 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:16 PM

Today I found two Seymour mags, new-in-wrapper, @ the Ft. Worth gunshow. Bought both @ $35 ea.

#8 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 09:29 AM

do un-modified box mags need to be modified in anyway to work in a new semi? wink.gif yes i know what it sounds like.

but i'm referring to the follower and the catch thingy that works the bolt hold open lever in the rifle.

i was just comparing a kahr xxx to the un-modified boxs i got from wac, and kahr removes about half of the tab in question.