• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:48 AM

I included this post on the old message board and was not sure if everyone saw it being many users are now on the new board. (So, sorry if this is a duplicate post.)

As many people know, Richardson is hard to get a hold of and even when he is, the barrel removal tool is always out of stock.

As a result, I am wondering if anyone would be kind enough to lend me theirs. I will pay for shipping both ways and a fee for the use if you so desire.

I can provide my cell phone number if need be to discuss futher.

Basically, I had to use lock-tite to keep my barrel on a while back and now that I want to change it out, it is near
impoosble for me to loosen.

I will also be happy with suggestions on how to loosen the locktite.

#2 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:09 AM

Jim,

The only way I've heard of loosening locktite is to heat the metal.

#3 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:37 AM

And heating the receiver nose could result in damage to the finish. Plus the bbl can be damaged trying to remove it without the proper tooling (truct me I know;-) Jim, I'd follow PK's advice and ship the receiver direct to him UPS. You'll be glad you did!

#4 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 02:58 PM

Pipe Wrench?

#5 BNZ43

BNZ43

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 03:21 PM

I have a barrel wrench for the TSMG that I can let you borrow if needed. I sent you a long email with some information on the barreling of the TSMG. Hope the advice helps.

#6 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:02 PM

Lionhart,

PIPEWRENCH! ohmy.gif

How about vise-grips! laugh.gif

#7 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:54 PM

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I wrapped the receiver in cloth and wedged it between (2) 2x4s.
My wife had a 3 foot piece of wood with an oval hole about 2/3 of the way down cut to fit around the compensator.

I held the receiver between the 2x4s and she used the long piece of wood to get some torque. After some brute force (on her part) it came loose.

The barrel is now off (YEAH!!!!!!!!!!) and currently soaking in Hoppes for a night or two.

Thanks again for everyone’s help and stay tuned for more posts from me regarding accuracy issues.

#8 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (BNZ43 @ Jul 14 2003, 03:21 PM)
I have a barrel wrench for the TSMG that I can let you borrow if needed. I sent you a long email with some information on the barreling of the TSMG. Hope the advice helps.

If your Chris, I got your e-mail and thanks for the offer, and as you know by know the problem is currently solved. Hopefully the information will help another person.