Lyman Adjustable Sight

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nhglyn

nhglyn

• Regular Group
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 10:08 AM

Does anyone have a link to photos of the Lyman sight made for the Tommy gun? Never seen one, would like to see what they look like. Thanks

#2 WILSON

WILSON

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 11:15 AM

I think I can help with this one:

http://home.epix.net...iron/index.html

#3 nhglyn

nhglyn

• Regular Group
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 September 2003 - 12:38 PM

Another question! If a Lyman adjustable can be found, and purchased, do the holes line up with the ones that are on the 1927 A-1 of AO/Kahr manufacture? Can you just swap them, or do you need gunsmithing work to install the Lyman?

#4 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 12 September 2003 - 01:57 PM

Here's an image of the Lyman, too:

user posted image

The holes on the 1927 should line up with the holes on an original Lyman sight. Still, I'd HIGHLY recommend a compenent smith do the work. When I had an original sight added to my West Hurley, I thought of doing the rivet work myself, but it would have been difficult without all the proper tooling. I opted to have PK run screws up from inside, so the sight could be more easily removed if I was ever inclined to do so:

Lyman attachment

Also, here is another Lyman image:

Lyman top

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:22 PM

The hole position on all Thompsons, old and new is the same, however the types of attachments changed and can create challenges in adapting old sights to new guns.

The original attachment was with 1/8”solid steel rivets. This gave way to 1/8” hollow (Pop) rivets, and finally (on recent production) M4mm screws with the threads in the receiver. These latter attachments are larger in diameter that the older ones. To install an old sight without modification onto a new receiver you need to make special stepped rivets. Alternately, the sight can be modified to accept the screws, but the value of the sight usually discourages this approach.

It is difficult to do a proper rivet job without the right tooling.

#6 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 12 September 2003 - 02:43 PM

"It is difficult to do a proper job without the right tooling"..If all else fails, weld it on! laugh.gif

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2097 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 13 September 2003 - 08:08 PM

Hey Lionhart!

Are you letting out a secret why one of your 1928 lower frames on Evilbay has weld beads on it??? ph34r.gif
I think I'm onto something here.....!!! biggrin.gif