Removal Of '28 Recoil Spring

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JDG

JDG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:WW II military guns. Old Mopar hot rods and '73 to '79 Ford trucks. Peering through my telescope at the stars and planets. Riding my dirt bike and back packing.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:51 PM

I did use the Search Function but I wanted to make sure I understood that this would work for INSTALLATION of the recoil spring in a 28 as well as for removal. If I carefully compress the spring while still in the receiver then put a pin through the hole in the pilot rod to hold the spring back that will hopefully allow me to remove the spring/rod assembly without my usual end result of a bent spring? Thanks for any help!

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

Yes,

Some GI pilots have the capture hole to far forward and the stem that enters the receiver is to long, making it difficult to remove the pilot with the capture pin in place.

Once removed, the spring can be further compressed and the capture pin replaced to make installation easier. Make sure when you remove the capture pin in reassembley that you hold the spring with your fingers so it doesn’t jump forward; this can cause the spring to wind up in a loop behind the bolt and you will really be cussing.

#3 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 757 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:10 PM

A tip, I learned here, is when replacing the spring pull the bolt back slightly to take up any slack or excess in the spring. Once done, then pull the capture pin from the hole in the pilot. This reduces the likelyhood of the loop in the spring and all the cussing. Good Luck !!

Chuck

#4 JDG

JDG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:WW II military guns. Old Mopar hot rods and '73 to '79 Ford trucks. Peering through my telescope at the stars and planets. Riding my dirt bike and back packing.

Posted 10 December 2004 - 04:02 AM

Thanks to each of you for your helpful replies! Your time is much appreciated.