Somebody Got A Deal On Some Colt Parts

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 AZDoug

AZDoug

• Regular Group
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 04:00 PM

What is that mark on the first fin/seating shoulder?

The fins do not look rounded properly, but I don't recognize that mark by the index mark.

Doug.

#22 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:55 PM

What are the possibilities?

First of all, he claims he took it from the upper himself. Either he is lying and made the fake himself or the barrel is a Richardson convert. If its not a Richardson, then he did the work himself and is one of those that PhilOhio is talking about.

However, I doubt that a pro would have taken a picture of the proof mark and sent it to the potential buyer. Any advanced (and semi advanced) collector would call BS after seeing it. He either hoped for a dummy, or is innocent.

My vote is the guy knew he had a fake and was trying to pass it off.

Expose the seller and lets hear his name so other colt collectors won't take it up the arse from him in the future.

(you folks know I could't care less about colt TSMG stuff, but I feel for any collector of TSMG stuff when this type of crap goes on. And no I don't want to start the mark the fake part threads up again, but this is a prime example of whats going to happen in 10-20 years on this other stuff. THANK GOD this part was marked to alert the collector before he lost $1600 on about $400 worth of parts.)

Merry Christmas.

Jr

#23 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1626 posts

Posted 26 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

Parts are listed as sold again. Oh my.

#24 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 26 December 2004 - 07:31 PM

That makes 2, the first guy trying to pass the Bbl off as "original" and the buyer who it appears has no idea what he is looking at.

If Ebay didn't exist this junk would have to be passed off at a gun show and it would sit on a table forever.

#25 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1626 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 07:16 AM

Arthur seemed to have missed your questions.
The seller never responded back when I pointed out the problems with his barrel.
I never got to the Lyman sight as I was too busy with the barrel as my first confirmation.
Since the barrel did not pass muster I never bothered with asking for closeups on the sight.
My concern is that some poor buyer now believes he has a set of Colt parts, and we know for sure the barrel is not Colt.