Somebody Got A Deal On Some Colt Parts

Darn, I can't believe i missed this: Parts for Sale

"I have a Colt 1921A Barrel in ex. condition. Plus the Lyman sightin EX. condition. Both are truely mint. The Barrel is $900.00 OBO and the sight is$650.00 OBO. If you need these parts on your mint 21 please dont wait as it takes years for this nice of part's to show up. I have even removed the barrel so it is ready to install.I have detailed photos and take more.They are both sold funds pending Thanks all"

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/upload/nfapartsandaccys.1631.1.jpg

QUOTE (philasteen @ Dec 22 2004, 08:11 PM)
John Jr, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a colt barrel, not a 1928 Savage barrel.

Okay. If the barrel came off of a TSMG that colt assembled in the early twenties, then the barrel was built by Remington. Lyman built the sight. So we don't have a colt part yet.

Plus if this barrel is not off of the first 1,000 guns thus meaning that the SN is not engraved onto face of the barrel where it screws into the upper, then we really don't know who built it. Colt parts are not marked in any way, and neither are reproductions.

Just one of the MANY reasons I would never collect colt TSMG stuff.

Take care

Jr

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Dec 22 2004, 10:49 PM)
IF this was a modified WW2 Barrel, than a Mark would be evident, UNLESS the mark disappeared through someone's handiwork.

This wouldn't seem any less possible than someone failing to mark repro parts. JMHO...

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If the gun came out of a PD and hasn't been buggered with, it's usually a safe bet for original contract parts. I know what you mean though about not collecting stuff because it's such a minefield. I want an original Rev War period Charleville or a Brown Bess, but wouldn't risk it because of the possibility of switched parts or outright fakers.

"Brown Bess"...is that NFA?...in the future maybe even hillary might let you own it... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

John Jr...

And what exactly is your point? You know John, you have developed quite an infamous reputation for jumping in with your snide remarks...Not a day goes by, without seeing this type of behavior from you...I am literally shocked, as I am disappointed. Absolutely NO shame with your intrusive actions. I'm truly appalled... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Now with that being said, my point is no one would able to tell if this is indeed an original Colt Barrel, or a later reworked one. No matter if there had been a mark or not. For the dedicated Forger, there are ways around almost anything..Not that I wanted to start the entire Marking Debate again...

What are the possibilities?

First of all, he claims he took it from the upper himself. Either he is lying and made the fake himself or the barrel is a Richardson convert. If its not a Richardson, then he did the work himself and is one of those that PhilOhio is talking about.

However, I doubt that a pro would have taken a picture of the proof mark and sent it to the potential buyer. Any advanced (and semi advanced) collector would call BS after seeing it. He either hoped for a dummy, or is innocent.

My vote is the guy knew he had a fake and was trying to pass it off.

Expose the seller and lets hear his name so other colt collectors won't take it up the arse from him in the future.

(you folks know I could't care less about colt TSMG stuff, but I feel for any collector of TSMG stuff when this type of crap goes on. And no I don't want to start the mark the fake part threads up again, but this is a prime example of whats going to happen in 10-20 years on this other stuff. THANK GOD this part was marked to alert the collector before he lost $1600 on about $400 worth of parts.)

Merry Christmas.

Jr

That makes 2, the first guy trying to pass the Bbl off as "original" and the buyer who it appears has no idea what he is looking at.

If Ebay didn't exist this junk would have to be passed off at a gun show and it would sit on a table forever.

Arthur seemed to have missed your questions.

The seller never responded back when I pointed out the problems with his barrel.

I never got to the Lyman sight as I was too busy with the barrel as my first confirmation.

Since the barrel did not pass muster I never bothered with asking for closeups on the sight.

My concern is that some poor buyer now believes he has a set of Colt parts, and we know for sure the barrel is not Colt.