• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1686 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

Thanks everybody for all your warm heartfelt wishes. We were lucky in all senses of the word. Insurance appears to be going to cover most of it. Any way we are going to get started Jan 3 on the rebuild. My father in law (lucky for me) is a carpenter and we are going to the front of the list for rebuilding. I'm going to add an actual shop to the garage so wood working dust will no longer get on the cars (my wife hated that).

Biggest surprise was when you start adding up the stuff that accumulates in a garage and how valuable it is when you will have to replace it. I'll probably go way over my insured amount in the end. I figured I had over $4,000 just in walnut lumber. No wonder it burned so good and hot!

Free advice for anyone out there, walk around the house and video tape everything with a little running commentary. Wish I had done that. Trying to build a list from my memory is tough!

Hawkeye, thanks for the offer of the gun parts, I've sent an email.
Merry Christmas guys.
Dan

#22 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:24 PM

A happier New Year is in your future Dan. Relax a bit and just enjoy the family and pretend that the smoke smell is just the Yule Log.....I'll talk to you soon, I got your e-mail.... smile.gif

#23 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 25 December 2004 - 10:56 AM

Dan,
Thinking of you and yours in this trying time.
So glad no one was hurt.
My best, Z

#24 Hurridale

Hurridale

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 27 December 2004 - 01:13 AM

Dan,

Add my best wishes to the list, along with gratitude that no one was hurt. Having a set of your excellent woodwork on the Colt in my safe makes this fire more personal to me. The outstanding work and service you provided during our deal made me really feel this misfortune.

This is not just a personal loss to you, Dan, but it should be regarded as a loss for the Thompson community. You do first-rate work and are a valuable resource to keeping these fine old pieces in an honorable condition.

It's good to read that it sounds like you'll be back on your feet soon. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you can get that new shop up and running soon.

In the meantime, a word for those who may have had their replacement wood delayed by the fire: Hang in there -- the wait WILL be worth it!

Regards, and wishes for the best of holidays,
DC

#25 TM76

TM76

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley ,Traveling, Shooting my Tommy Gun, Target shooting, Teaching my kids,grandkids safety with firearms.

Posted 27 December 2004 - 11:45 PM

Dan
So sorry to read about the fire at your house and glad no one was hurt,I'm sure you will rebuild and be back in business in no time.
Good luck

See Ya

Tino