Which Makes A Better Shooter, M1 Or 28?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PatM

PatM

• Regular Group
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:05 PM

I've never shot a 28 but have heard the top ejection can be a pain. I've always favored the look of the sidecocking M1,but drums seem like a fun way to burn lead...I want to buy a military thompson but am torn with which one. Prices seem comparable on both. So my question is which gun would make a more pleasurable shooter.
thanks!

#2 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:31 PM

I've never shot a 28 but have heard the top ejection can be a pain

Never heard that one before...... laugh.gif

So my question is which gun would make a more pleasurable shooter.

Go with a '28, then save for an M1..

#3 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:46 PM

The cocking may change, but the ejection stays the same.....

#4 PatM

PatM

• Regular Group
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:25 PM

maybe its urban legend but a friend with a 28 says the smoke and hot brass shower in your face can be painful. Didn't mean to imply there was an ejection issue...

#5 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:33 PM

No I was only saying I think they all eject the same... ie the cocking handle may be different but I believe the ejection port is cut the same... Maybe I'm wrong I've only shot an M1 and my 27A1 and A5 with no ill effects that you speak of...

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

I've seen this question come up a lot and it all boils down to what look turns you on. Even though the price gap is closing, I believe the military 28 still commands a higher market value. However, both are rare and collectible. I can't speak about how the m1 shoots, since my paperwork hasn't cleared yet. As for the 28, I haven't experienced any of the ejection concerns you spoke of. It is an excellent shooter, if you are not opposed to shooting an 18K gun. The compensator is a little hard to clean, but that's not a big problem. Like others here, I like the versatililty of the 28, because you can play both gangsters and army with the same gun.

#7 Eagle3

Eagle3

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

Pat, I don't think that you will go wrong with either, and as others have stated the ejection is the same.

However in my opinion the complexity and over-all history of the 28 in relation to the 21 makes the 28 the better choice. The machining on the 28 for the blish lock, even though later engineers found out it was not needed, the cut for the drum, removable butt stock etc., gives you a closer tie to the original Thompson 1921. This does not take away from the significance of the M1A1, which I also have a fondness for, but in essence the 28, I think, gives you a better bang for your buck. And as suggested, buy the 28 and save up for the MI. As you will surely find out, owning a Thompson is like opening a jar of peanuts, once you start you cannot stop.

Which ever one you choose, I am sure that you will be satisfied. After all, it will be a Thompson.

#8 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:42 PM

However in my opinion the complexity and over-all history of the 28 in relation to the 21 makes the 28 the better choice. The machining on the 28 for the blish lock, even though later engineers found out it was not needed, the cut for the drum, removable butt stock etc., gives you a closer tie to the original Thompson 1921. This does not take away from the significance of the M1A1, which I also have a fondness for, but in essence the 28, I think, gives you a better bang for your buck. And as suggested, buy the 28 and save up for the MI. As you will surely find out, owning a Thompson is like opening a jar of peanuts, once you start you cannot stop.

I have both. I have a WH 1928 and love it. I can stick in a drum and let 'er rip or a mag and do the same. Lot's of fun. See any of my videos about that!
The M1 you can just put in a 30 round stick mag and let 'er rip. Or buy on of those converted stick mags that hold 55 rounds. I think that the 1928 shoots better, or at least I hit the target better with it in FA dumps. It could be the Cutts Compensator. The weight is about the same, I think it was 10.98 pounds for the '28 and 9.96 pounds for the M1.
If I were you, I would buy the 1928 model first. That way you stock up on drums and stick mags, and then in a year or so later, start the hunt for a good M1/M1A1. Any way let us know what you find.

#9 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:56 PM

Buy at least one of each and then start saving for a '21.

MP

#10 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

If you find something at the right price - buy it.

It will not be cheaper tomorrow.

I would try to get a 28 before the M1 unless you can steal the M1. I have both and would always pick the 28 or 21 before a M1.

If you only get a M1, at some point you will be asking how to get a drum to fit. Prior posts point out the owner of a single M1 at some point starts thinking "drum"

#11 PatM

PatM

• Regular Group
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:23 PM

whats wrong with the colt overstamp on gunsamerica thats been there a while @ 22k? I assume it has some issues...

#12 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:10 PM

Define the term "Better Shooter".

Better accuracy? Both
More fun? 28 (100 round drum dump. smile.gif )
More fire power? Both
Sustained firepower? 28 due to the drums

#13 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4581 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:28 PM

The term "shooter" is a well used term meaning a gun you like to shoot. Hence you wou;ld rather take the 1928 West Hurley out to shoot the you would take your 1921 Colt out ot shoot. That is how I would use the term "shooter". But you know me Jim, I shoot everything I have. I don't care if it would be a pony gun or not. if it works, I shoot it. The first year I had my WH, I put close to 5k rounds through it. My M1 with it's history, I put almost 1000 rounds down it the first time I took it out to shoot! Now if I get a pony gun, I'll burn them through the barrel to.
I have noticed at the last show I had my guns at, I did get a lot of people looking at the M1. Maybe because of the movies and hype over WWII that had popped up in the last year or two. You know those 2 movies like BOB and SPR did a lot for them.

#14 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 06 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jan 6 2005, 01:31 PM)
I've never shot a 28 but have heard the top ejection can be a pain

Never heard that one before...... laugh.gif

So my question is which gun would make a more pleasurable shooter.

Go with a '28, then save for an M1..

What he said!

(Mike, the M1 weighs more)

Jr

#15 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:07 PM

Ahh, heck Pat, buy all 3, the 21, 28, & M1, then give me the two you don't like.. wink.gif

#16 TM76

TM76

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley ,Traveling, Shooting my Tommy Gun, Target shooting, Teaching my kids,grandkids safety with firearms.

Posted 07 January 2005 - 07:56 AM

The 28 cause it looks coolllllll

See Ya
Tino

#17 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 07 January 2005 - 08:24 PM

The 28, cause it does every thing the M1 does and more.
Kevin

#18 JTinIN

JTinIN

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Machine guns and Flintlocks

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:01 AM

If you have a good choice of either, then of course get the '28 as is harder to find, takes drums etc.

However, in the one limited case of subgun match shooting the M1 has two postives over the 1928 (fyi think both were commented on by shooters who only own M1s ;-) .

The top mounted charging handle has been picked up by mistake as the front sight (really changes the point of impact .... LOL!) during a fast moving subgun match. Has happened to several of even the better shooters.

The other possible postive, is that the fixed rear sight (which is also on the later USGI '28A1's) works a little bit better for most subgun match shooters than the 1921/28 battle sight or even the latter sight (which some of the match shooters tape in one place for the match to keep it from getting bumped /moved). wink.gif

#19 Jay Baker

Jay Baker

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 499 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, history, science fiction, old movies.

Posted 08 January 2005 - 07:03 AM

I'll chime in on this subject since I own both. If you like the firepower an L or C drum brings, you'll have to have the 28. Some have said they get more gas in the face when shooting them and this is true if you shoot from the hip, but I have never noticed it when shooting from the shoulder. I do enjoy shooting the M1 more. Its simpler rear sight, fixed stock, no compensator and slightly less weight makes it a bit more pleasurable to shoot for me. I think the M1 is more of military weapon than the 28 because of these design modifications made during war time. But try to test fire both and see what you like best. Eventually, you'll have to have both. laugh.gif

#20 JTinIN

JTinIN

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Machine guns and Flintlocks

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

Have fired one of the guy's WH '28 with a '21 kit (modified to fit) to increase the rate of fire (assume this is not any worst on the receiver that a '21 would be, however, do not anything past was based on '21 internals ....).

The higher rate of fire with a drum was an interesting option for general shooting of tin can's and steel targets durning the days shoot.

P.S. Going to have to stay away from this disucssion or will be selling the HK sear and Sterling to get a down payment on a USGI '28A1 ..... LOL! (not not an offer to sell :-)

Edited by JTinIN, 08 January 2005 - 10:37 AM.