• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Eagle3

Eagle3

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

NEVER apologize because it is just a Westy. It IS a Thompson, and your new baby is part of a very EXCLUSIVE club. Enjoy, and give it the tender loving care it deserves.

Congratulations!

#22 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:00 PM

Thanks to all for all the congrats, complements and best wishes. The little fellow is resting safetly in the safe. Next time I see you all I'll give you a cigar. Alright, alright, enough of the baby analogies.

As to some of your questions. I havent shot it yet. Unfortunately I'm headed to Cancun on Saturday and my wife wouldnt let me cancel the trip to go to the range (women, go figure) So it will be a couple weeks yet before we take it for ride.

I believe everything on it is original though it does have a Savage bolt. No other parts have any noticeable markings. The finish is worn by the actuator as you can see by the pic and on the butt plate but otherwise doesnt look very worn. You may notice the finish in front of the ejector port is more textured than the smooth finish on the rest of the receiver. Not sure why that is or if its normal. I've got NOS grips and a complete stock to swap out once I get the current set dinged up a bit. I've also got a complete 28 parts set which is on my RIchardson display gun but swapping that out would mean putting the West Hurley parts on the Richardson and I think that is probably some kind of sacrilege. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a new parts set though I do have spare actuators, springs and pilots etc.

To open the drum I have to tap the key with a mallet. I think because it was barely used and is just very tight. At least I hope that's the problem. I've got one of the new ones from the group buy coming any day. And of course I've got enough XX and XXX mags to get me from Normandy to the Ardennes.

I dont mind telling you that I paid 10K for it in April which I thought was high at the time. Kathy Lamont offered to sell me a NIB 28 for 11.5 about that time. I had also just been beat out on a British 28 after dickering too long over $500.00 and it went for 15K. Two weeks after I sent off the check I came across a 28 overstamp for 18K at the gun show in Raliegh. All of them seem like a bargain now..

Any suggestion on what requires an immediate swap?

Now that my wife is over the sticker shock of this one, I think a brother is in order.

See you at the next TCA Show an Shoot.

#23 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 758 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:28 AM

Very nice looking gun with an exceptional buttstock. Hope it runs as good as it looks. My Westie runs and runs and runs. I agree with the others, keep it well fed and oiled and your THOMPSON will give you years of enjoyment. Besides, in 16 yrs it won't put a dent in the family car !

Enjoy.

Chuck