29 replies to this topic

#21 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Apr 7 2005, 09:20 PM)
Lotusnut,

Very nice looking guns. If that '21 is a refinish, it is certainly first rate.

FYI: The party who hosts your picture posting site is into all sorts of games. When viewing your pics, the site tries to install two different types of spyware on the visitor's computer. Then, when clicking to view your third Thompson picture, it creates a very long download delay, while a spam promo up above tries to sell you anti-spyware stuff, warning that one clue telling you you might have it, is that things take so long to download...which they have just faked. These guys never give up.

But enjoy your new additions. Hope the third one is doing as well as the first two. And I'll bet she's not refinished. wink.gif

Ok thanks...I just changed the photo page link to the recommended Photobucket site...

#22 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (gijive @ Apr 7 2005, 10:31 PM)
QUOTE (Lotusnut @ Apr 7 2005, 08:41 PM)
Here are some pics I have of the Colt 1921 AC and the Savage 1928A1.....

My photos

Lotusnut,

Thanks for posting the pictures, the guns look nice. Unfortunately, the Colt gun does not have an original rear grip on it. It is a WWII variety grip, most likely made by Strombeck-Becker (see Frank Iannamico's American Thunder for details) and should have an "M" stamped on the top of the grip near the slotted area. The contour of the grip isn't correct for a Colt grip and the wood is too light colored and evenly matched for an 80+ year old gun. If there is no contractor stamp on the grip it was probably sanded off. . It is a nice refinishing job, for sure, but altering or replacing the rear grip would indicate the gun and finish may not be original. If the front vertical grip and butt stock are original, they certainly wouldn't match (in color and finsih) the WWII variety rear grip. Age, hand oils and normal wear would darken the wood. All these clues add up to refinishing.

It is a beautiful gun, nonetheless, and you should be happy with it! Good luck with your new purchases.

Thanks for you post...I was aware of the grip as it had been pointed out by Tracie Hill before I bought the gun....If the rest of the gun is refinished, it certainly is top rate, and since I intend to keep it, it doesn't really matter.

When I finally get it in my hands, I will take it on a trip to Tracie and see what he thinks...

#23 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:50 PM

Lotusnut,
Yeah, ditto what G.I. Jive says. Why would a perfect TSMG lose its pistol grip unless it was taken apart for more than a cleaning? Since the greater percent of the 15,000 Colt TSMG's wound up at PD's, it is sort of a misnomer to consider them a one owner gun until a dealer buyers it from them. Who knows how many armorers went threw the department, and chiefs, who no doubt couldn't resist handling, if not actually shooting, the weapon. No visible scratches anywhere on the weapon that are not blued, and absolutely no blue wear above the frame grip is most unlikely considering these guys didn't wear cotton gloves when handling this curiosity weapon, even if they never shot it. How do the internal pieces look, i.e. bolt, Blish, actuator, etc?

Perhaps this is why it languished on the Gunbroker site for over a year and a half. Did the seller move on his $32K figure considering the time the weapon was on the market and that Hill had to put the finger on the grip instead of the seller?

#24 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
Lotusnut,
Yeah, ditto what G.I. Jive says and in the only close up left receiver photo, the "9" in the date appears diminished in the stamping. Since the greater percent of the 15,000 Colt TSMG's wound up at PD's, it is sort of a misnomer to consider them a one owner gun until a dealer buyers it from them. Who knows how many armorers went threw the department, and chiefs, who no doubt couldn't resist handling and shooting the weapon. No visible scratches anywhere on the weapon that are not blued, and absolutely no blue wear above the frame grip is most unlikely considering these guys didn't wear cotton gloves when handling this curiosity weapon, even if they never shot it. How do the internal pieces look, i.e. bolt, Blish, actuator, etc?

Perhaps this is why it languished on the Gunbroker site for over a year and a half. Did the seller move on his $32K figure considering the time the weapon was on the market?

Yes, he moved...

wink.gif

#25 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 10:59 PM

Lotusnut,
Up or down? And are you into Europa's, Elite's, Esprit's?

#26 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 7 2005, 10:59 PM)
Lotusnut,
Up or down? And are you into Europa's, Elite's, Esprit's?

Arthur,

He moved down, enough that with current prices for M1/M1A1/ and other variants, it was a no brainer. I'll post pics of the drum as well...

What do you think of the Savage rewat repair pic ? I think I'll have that re-finished better. Can you suggest anyone for that job ?

As for the "Lotus" in Lotusnut, you guessed it ! I'm into Esprits...I have a 2001 Yellow esprit with a lotus motosports race ECU, exhaust, intake and BOV's....I grew up in England, and as a kid, it was the car I idolized !

best regards,

Jas

#27 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
Lotusnut,
Yeah, ditto what G.I. Jive says. Why would a perfect TSMG lose its pistol grip unless it was taken apart for more than a cleaning? Since the greater percent of the 15,000 Colt TSMG's wound up at PD's, it is sort of a misnomer to consider them a one owner gun until a dealer buyers it from them. Who knows how many armorers went threw the department, and chiefs, who no doubt couldn't resist handling, if not actually shooting, the weapon. No visible scratches anywhere on the weapon that are not blued, and absolutely no blue wear above the frame grip is most unlikely considering these guys didn't wear cotton gloves when handling this curiosity weapon, even if they never shot it. How do the internal pieces look, i.e. bolt, Blish, actuator, etc?

Perhaps this is why it languished on the Gunbroker site for over a year and a half. Did the seller move on his $32K figure considering the time the weapon was on the market and that Hill had to put the finger on the grip instead of the seller?

The diminished "9" may just be the angle of the pic....another head on pic posted of the date looks fine.

#28 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:37 PM

Lotusnut,
Yes, I deleted that erroneous observation after viewing your second list of pics. The fact that a Lotus Esprit was capable of submarine performance in "The Spy Who Loved Me" surely solidifies that car's prominence in the pantheon of cool vehicles.

#29 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Arthur Fliegenheimer @ Apr 8 2005, 02:37 PM)
Lotusnut,
Yes, I deleted that erroneous observation after viewing your second list of pics. The fact that a Lotus Esprit was capable of submarine performance in "The Spy Who Loved Me" surely solidifies that car's prominence in the pantheon of cool vehicles.

The fact that a British made car leaked wasn't surprising either !

tongue.gif

#30 Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, Garands, All things WW2, Corsairs, Classic Guitars, Sex, Guns and Rock & Roll

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:47 PM

Let's see, someone willing to buy two THompsons? I bet he didn't move much. But then again, I guess it was the two for the price of one pitch that clinched the deal.