#21 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:39 PM

PhilOhio,

"P.T. Barnum was no fool. Ponder his immortal words always. Especially when preparing to stuff money into MUN Sun-myong's pocket"

"I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but my gosh, why not just BE SMART? Listen to P.T. "

In the interest of clearing up revisionist history click the link below...

#22 timkel

timkel

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:NRA Patron member
    Atlas Shrugged

Posted 19 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

I just received the drum today.
The "9" and "11" are now stamped correctly.
The 2 rear rivets still needed to be set correctly.
Some minor deburring was needed on the rotor fingers and the tracks.
The tracks had no alignment problems.
The front and rear brackets are poorly formed.
Overall fit and finish was better then the last Kahr drum I examined.
I think Kahr is going to have to raise the quality quite a bit if they ever plan to produce the C drum.

#23 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

Drum arrived today, cycles well, but similar to Sgt.'s problem it slides right trough. I raised the mag catch bumps a tad and it works fine.

There seems to be a little too much slop between the drum rails and frame grooves.

The real challenge is counting the clicks, its more difficult than the X in that respect.

The finish is of better quality than the X made in 2003.

And a long way from the Worcester!

In reading all of the posts I wonder if the early drums had problems at first. And if the ones in circulation now are the tweaked ones. Just a thought.....

I know, I know, STOP Thinking!!!

LOL

#24 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 19 January 2005 - 07:46 PM

Your o so right Lancer-Volumes its speaks- true dat.
I must also agree the only way to get Kahr to make a better product is to return them for all the reason stated above- But there is one result left out- they may well refund and not make anymore as they may decide they simple can't do it right- Likely? Possible? Who knows for sure-I don't
That may be a reason we buy them regardless and just get them fixed-

A real Catch-22
I admit I bought 3 and left them to PK to tune- I simple don't have the tools and ability to do it myself right now and I am tired of stick mags so I was willing to put up with a marginal product-Shame on me, sad.gif I realize that now.

#25 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 19 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

I've got a call into Khar to return,replace my drum (good luck). I bought the drum viewing it as a bet. And you wonder why I don't go to Vegas? I have no beef with PK or anyone else who warned against purchasing Khar Krap. I wish I had the expertise to make a product like the drum, I could do a much better job and others could enjoy it. Maybe in my next life. smile.gif
Kevin

#26 Bob B

Bob B

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:20 AM

Called Kahr this morning and explained the situation. The person I spoke with said they knew all about the problems with the recent run of L drums and "the vendor" had already made corrections. I was told to just send it in and the people in receiving would know instantly what the deal is (guess that means they've had some "feedback"). They promised to replace it with a new "corrected" version, and even gave me a UPS account number to charge the shipment to. So it's on its way to them now, delivery scheduled for Friday. I must say they made no bones about acknowledging it was their error and seemed eager to make it good.

Jeez, it'd be so easy for them to just do the proper in-house QC and avoid all the expense of return-and-replacement. How can any for-profit company think that using their customer base as a QC department is good business? Anyhow, I guess we'll soon see what the "new corrected" version looks like. I'll post a report when I receive it.

#27 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:58 AM

As an in-house cost savings, the U.S. auto industry did away with most in-house quality checking years ago. The parts were supposed to come to the auto companies from the vendors pre-checked by the vendors at the vendor's own expense. Warranty cost for non-compliant parts were passed on to the vendors.

Kahr may have a similar program.

MP

#28 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 20 January 2005 - 08:46 AM

All,

My understanding is that there was a problem with the first drums that came from Kahrs vendor. The issuse has been resolved and some type of quality control is being put in place to check the new drums. On the long awaited C drums...Tracie Hill is working with Kahr on these and has produced a blueprint to work off of. This may make quite a difference as long as they don't deviate from the prints. Reverse engineering can be pretty trickyand lead to problems (like the new L drums). Just discovering the tollerances to stick to can be a ton of work. Working off of a blueprint is much easier and should yield better results...I hope. At any rate it sounds like they have what they need to produce a quality C drum and if it comes out junk...would speak volumes about Kahrs motivation. I have been assured by Kahr that they want to attract the full auto crowd to buy the drums and they are aware that the quality will have to be there in order for that to happen. Both Tracie and I have stressed this point to the folks at Kahr seperately. Wait, Hope and pray.

Damon

#29 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:24 AM

Bob B
What phone # did you use to get past the answering machine? I haven't talked to a human yet.
Kevin

#30 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

My understanding is that there was a problem with the first drums that came from Kahrs vendor

The problems not only exist in their current "L" Drums, but also with their past "X" Drum. I should think that if Kahr was truly motivated, they would have gotten the problems worked out with their 10Rd Drums before moving on to the 50 rounders..Just an observation.

Wait, Hope and pray.

AMEN to that Bro!....

#31 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:17 PM

Well that sounds like good news in re the C drums and I will do my part. If it comes out and doesn't function I will send it back repeatedly rather than have it tuned as I am with the 3 L's, coward that I am.

Saw a WH C drum for sale recently in the 11-1200 range- Kahr et al should be able to beat that price point by a country mile AND produce a better drum.
We will have to wait and see and return if necessary as I would bet we can all sorta do without a C drum in the big scheme of things, I know I can even though I too would like to have a couple of them for grins like anyone else.

Mark

#32 Poprivit

Poprivit

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder how hard it would be to find out who is Kahr's supplier of drums. If we had that info, we could go direct and possibly get exactly what we want.

I imagine it would take an order of 50-100 drums to get the supplier interested, but it would be worth it to avoid dealing with Kahr.

PK, Philohio and others - what do you think? Is this doable? dry.gif

#33 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder how hard it would be to find out who is Kahr's supplier of drums. If we had that info, we could go direct and possibly get exactly what we want.

I imagine it would take an order of 50-100 drums to get the supplier interested, but it would be worth it to avoid dealing with Kahr.

What makes you think Kahr's Supplier would produced better Drums for other Vendors? Since their producing Junk for Kahr now, I don't see how they could change anything, regardless of the numbered ordered from anyone else. I'm also sure that Kahr has ordered many Thousands of these too from who ever the Company is that Kahr contracted to manufacture these. I do hope that the folks at Kahr will get to the bottom of this mess, and Straighten everything out. I also have my fingers crossed for the introduction of the new "C" Drums. I just hope the wait will be worth it, unlike their current offerings.

#34 Liberator

Liberator

• Regular Group
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Jan 18 2005, 07:41 PM)
This is why I had to laugh at Liberator's use of Khar and Quality Control in the same sentence..they have none. He's happy to have his M1 Tommy , even though the forearm's wrong, the rear sight is falling off, the front sight is rotating, and the safety has lost a part. .but to quote him..
All in all, for less than 1/10th the price of the real deal, I got a damn fun little Thompson!

BULLSHIT!! for the price he paid for a SBR Thompson it should do as well as a Browning or a Kimber..and not fall to fuck apart when he shoots it.

Hey, if Browning or Kimber made a SBR Thompson I'd damn well pay for it. But, where do I get a new semi-thompson outside of Kahr? That's exactly why Microsoft produces so much crap. It's a big fat monopoly. Just like old Ma Bell back in the day (and she'll be back soon.)

Sent them my nasty note and they're sending me parts, etc. As i said in the other thread, I'd rather fix it myself so that it's done right. It's really too bad that a crappy company bought the rights to AO but I have the same worries now that IBM sold its PC arm to the Chinese.

It's all about the least overhead and selling the most units. No one gives a crap anymore and if you do, you're among an elite group of artisans that will have to sell each unit for a ton of money just to stay in business. It's a Wal-Mart world where quality and integrity just seem to be a lost art.

#35 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:57 PM

Finally heard from Khar- drum is on the way back to them. They said they probably will just replace it.
Kevin

#36 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 07:01 PM

With what?

#37 Elbow

Elbow

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

I got my drum in late October and mine wasn't all that great either.Mainly it was the fit and finish that really was bad.
The main thing was the rivets and mounting rails. All is well now(after I fixed it) but spending dam near $300.00 for this "THING" really pissed me off for what I got.I had the same song and dance you guys guys have with your drums also.But it works after I had to fix the problems with the drum.

I'll will NEVER buy any thing from Kahr again. Thier Thompsons suck,Drums and quality control sucks as well too. mad.gif

#38 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:45 PM

I went into it knowing the risks, kind of like buying a cheap car. You plan up front to sink more money into it. Whether that is smart or not, is another debate.

In regards to sending the bad stuff back to Kahr, I'll certainly will do that first before paying someone to repair them. However, I doubt if that will deter Kahr from producing more drums. I'm sure they have planned the L drum as a selling point for new guns. Even newbies wanted their drums to speak volumes.

#39 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 04:03 PM

Kahr is going with a different contractor for their "L" Production...

#40 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:37 PM

What part of China will they come from?