Khar Drum

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 thesavage

thesavage

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:24 PM

Well guys, i received my Drum yesterday (Thursday). fit is sloppy, finish on front alright, finish on back ...well, very little finish on it. shot it....wouldn't cycle worth a damn. going back next week with a strongly worded letter. not gonna work on one that should work correctly to start with. Bob , need the number that you contacted Kahr at. please post or send to me via email. thanks in advance. thesavage@mynetrocks.com
The Savage mad.gif

#42 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:37 PM

I feel your pain Bro.. I sure have received a lot of email correspondence by so many in responce of receiving shoddy merchandise from Kahr, that it's getting quite unbelievable. I realize that Kahr just recently decided to go with a different Contractor for their Drum production, but SOMEONE from Kahr needs to make damn sure that these problems don't occur in the future. Whether or not it would be better for Kahr to forget about anything Thompson and have someone else take over entirely, I don't know. I'm beginning to think, actually have come to believe, that would probably be best. Sickening...

#43 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4582 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:17 PM

Do all the new drum purchased have a copper ring on the lip where the top and bottom meet? two I had last week-end did.

#44 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:20 PM

This is the first time I have heard of a Copper Ring...I have not purchased a Kahr Drum; as I was advised against doing so, and I bless my lucky stars that I didn't. It's interesting to note that your two Drums had these Rings. Wonder what the purpose of those were?

#45 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:00 AM

I am still waiting on mine.

Since it was purchased as a "Group Buy" what is their policy for doing a return?

#46 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:50 AM

Jim,

It would be handled just as a firearm problem would, it needs to be sent directly to Kahr.

PK, was the purchasing agent, just like going to a sporting goods dealer.

#47 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:21 AM

JimFromFL,
Mine was also a group buy it's already on its way back to Kahr. Only took 2 phone calls and an email to get a response. Kahr said send it back. Hopefully the one that comes back will be better.

full auto 45,
No copper on the one I had.

Kevin

#48 TM76

TM76

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley ,Traveling, Shooting my Tommy Gun, Target shooting, Teaching my kids,grandkids safety with firearms.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

WH L drums are starting to look good compared to what there making now !!
When I was at Knobcreek I seen the new Kahr drums, didn't think much of them
they were off color ( burnt looking ) the rim of the can was rippled, and it felt like
a lighter gage material . thats why I didn't order any.

All my WH L drums have worked perfect since I bought them new years ago,never
had to do anything to them

See Ya
Tino

#49 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

Bastards...

#50 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

I'm with roadking. I bought a couple of WH L drums in the mid 90's and they have produced rock solid performance.

#51 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:08 PM

Without going into details, I have know these people for over 35 years - have seen familys torn apart, many of their people arrested and have suffered losses far greater than a drum that is junk.

Just look at the history of this cult and ask yourself - do they care?

#52 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:22 PM

Bastards
Yeah, just felt like saying it again!

#53 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jan 22 2005, 04:22 PM)
Bastards
Yeah, just felt like saying it again!

I am starting to think F***ing Bastards.

#54 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4582 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

I'll see if my buddy has one left and take a picture of it. It looked like they tack welded a copper lip on the lower half. You could see the tack welds on it. And it was bright and shiny!

#55 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:29 PM

huh.gif The two drums I ordered the night of the end of the ban,(13Sep), have worked well. Other than putting a file to the finger edges, I have only lubed them a little..............The one drum from the group buy, I have done the same too, and will test fire it tomorrow or monday. This one, as the other two, I manually functioned it, with ammo, to detect any function flaws. The finger edges seem to be the only thing that cause problems, & the wheel needs some lubing...... blink.gif
I do have two 10 round Kahr drums, that are now, a 30 rounder and a 45 rounder that run fine. Of course, they were converted after 13 Sep, biggrin.gif , and I hated to just let them remain 10rounders..... rolleyes.gif jw

(no copper on any of the 3)

#56 427sohc

427sohc

• Regular Group
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:11 AM

i know the drum i got from the group buy now has over 800 rounds through it and not one problem.not one.and i shot it as fast as i could pull the trigger.i dont know how it would work on full auto.also the finish dosent look to bad.i hope you other guys get better drums back.

#57 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1020 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:40 AM

PhilOhio: You may have stumbled onto another Thompson collecting frenzie! While some people collect every model of WWII drum and others collect the Colt variants, your comments on the Kahr drums opens to yet another path on collecting. Just think how proud the owner would be as he (or she) points with pride at the Kahr drum collection. "This one worked right out of the box", biggrin.gif "This one worked after sending to Merle", unsure.gif "This one could not be fixed", mad.gif and finally, "This one is the barfola drum". blink.gif

#58 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:11 PM

Today at Knob Creek, used the 50 rd drum from the group buy; used it 4 times, with 50 rds each time; it went like a dream. .....
So this is my 3rd post ban Kahr drum, that works magnificiently !!....Again, I filed the fingers, lubed it, and manually functioned it before going to the range. I must be lucky..........jw

#59 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:14 PM

Received my group buy drum today. Like some of you other guys, the mag catch doesn't engage very well and drum slides right through. ohmy.gif Finish is very thin in a couple of places.

I was curious about the weight compared to my Bridgeport drum and found (not surprisingly) that the Kahr weighs 4 oz. less.

I'm not going to bother inspecting it further. Going back to Kahr. wink.gif

#60 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 02:53 PM

I just finished making arraighnments to return my drum to Kahr. I explained the problem and the gentleman seemed very sympathetic.
I mentioned this forum to him and he said that he had not heard of it but was going to look in on us. Perhaps we can open a dialog with Kahr and improve things for all involved.

If he happens to post lets not all jump on him at once, don't want to scare him off. biggrin.gif