Bridgeport '28a1 Parts?

International Military Antiques (IMA) had some Auto-Ordnance manufactured grip frames, if that is what you mean by Bridgeport, that were part of the kits they sold a couple of years ago. They may have some left and they are pretty good about hand-picking items. You can call them and ask, anyway.

Savage made receivers also had the Bridgeport, CT address on them, so I fail to understand the Bridgeport reference currently in vogue with most new Thompson collectors. Initially, the Auto-Ordnance plant only made receivers and grip frames, so most other internal parts, barrels, etc. would be Savage, Savage/Stevens or other subcontractors. All the parts on an Auto-Ordnance made Thompson wouldn't be made by Auto-Ordnance, anyway.

Good luck on your search.

QUOTE (gijive @ Jan 23 2005, 02:30 PM)
I fail to understand the Bridgeport reference currently in vogue with most new Thompson collectors.

I must admit that I'm guilty of refering to my 28ac as a Bridgeport. It seems to me to be an easy way to differeniate between the TSMG varients.

What is the "acceptable" term for a Auto Ordnance receiver manufactured at the Bridgeport, Ct. facility?

BTW I purchased an 28 kit from IMA last Sept and asked for an AO grip frame and was told he would try but couldn't promise it. A Savage came with the kit.

Lancer: I belive it would be most correct to refer to any Bridgeport marked TSMG as either a "Savage-" or "AOC Bridgeport", and then the model, M1928, M1928A1, M1 or M1A1. "AC" would be a term applied to the earlier Colts, except for guns originally manufactured as M1928A1s with the 'A1' markings ground off at the factory and replaced with 'AC' for the civilian law enforcement market. These will generally not have US ordnance and acceptance markings. The Bridgeport M1928 guns all had compensators, and there was no M1928A (no compensator) model, as there was with the colts.

Savage made the earlier guns (in Utica, NY, I believe), before the AOC manufacturing facility came on line. "Bridgeport" appeared on the address line on both guns, and was where McGuire's Auto Ordnance Corporation was headquartered, and did not refer to where the gun was made.

There'll be plenty of differing opinions out there!

QUOTE (Lancer @ Jan 23 2005, 03:56 PM)

What is the "acceptable" term for a Auto Ordnance receiver manufactured at the Bridgeport, Ct. facility?

Lancer,

I guess it's an acceptable term as any. I was just being a "pain", the Bridgeport distinction is a "pet-peeve" of mine. All WWII guns have Bridgeport, CT addresses, so I personally don't see the need to refer to them as a Savage or a Bridgeport . I refer to them as a Savage made or Auto-Ordnance made gun. You can refer to your gun anyway you like.

Any Thompson with an address other than New York, New York or Bridgeport, CT is a post WWII gun, so I kind of understand referring to the later made copies as West Hurley's. The original Auto-Ordnance contracted guns, whether made by Colt, Savage or Auto-Ordnance's own plant are all original pre-war and WWII guns, so the Bridgeport distinction seems rather redundant to me.

QUOTE (TSMGguy @ Jan 23 2005, 04:36 PM)
I belive it would be most correct to refer to a Bridgeport marked TSMG as either a "Savage-" or "AOC Bridgeport", and then the model, M1928, M1928A1, M1 or M1A1. "AC" would be a term applied to the earlier Colts. As the Bridgeport guns had compensators, there would be no need to differentiate.

I don't think that the "c" on my "Model 1928ac" AOC Bridgeport refers to the compensator, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it refers to commercial.

This tends to be confusing at times and is why I always try to include Bridgeport when I refer to my 1928ac so it isn't confused with a Colt 1928ac since the Colt does not have the word Bridgeport on the gun.

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jan 23 2005, 09:46 PM)
I don't think that the "c" on my "Model 1928ac" AOC Bridgeport refers to the compensator, someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think it refers to commercial.

Compensator...Not Commercial.

I stand corrected.