24 replies to this topic

#21 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3443 posts

Posted 20 September 2003 - 08:04 PM

G.I.,
Yah. Of course. That's the only way I have seen the Savage barrels as new blued and marked. I wonder what PK is working with?

#22 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 22 September 2003 - 09:24 AM

Phil, I have to say that if your barrel moved over time, it was not torqued properly to begin with; just a technical point, a barrel should not move once installed.

Thanks for posting the photos GIJive, very informatimve as they are from two different dispositions of TSMG manufaxcture.

I suppose the question of “what I am working with” is worthey of a respose. The guns I see most are not from collections; they are shooters in need of some type of repair. Because they have been well used, the possibility of various reworks are endless. This would include witness marks being added or removed during previous refinishing.

Back to the question. A review of the GI drawings for the receiver and A/O drawings for the barrel make no indication of barrel thread timing or witness marking. It is intriguing to me that in light of this, the photos supplied by GI Jive show the marks in what would appear to be the same relation to the thread start on each of the two samples. This would obviously have to be gauged to be confirmed, but it sure looks that way. Why would Savage go to the trouble if it wasn’t required? Where is the proof of the requirement? I know from fitting many barrels they don’t seem to be timed, but I always accepted that and didn’t pay close attention to this particular variance (rather that they fit properly); I will in the future.

I appreciate all who have contributed constructively to this thread. I think more questions have been revealed that answered (not unusual). It would appear that examples of marked and unmarked barrels and receivers abound. Unless production or process records or specifications can be found, we may never know the answer.

#23 Phil Askew

Phil Askew

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 286 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 07:46 PM

PK, I checked all my NOS 28A1 barrels and they have the witness mark. Most are just like GIjive's picture. The finned barrels are marked also.

#24 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 22 September 2003 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for taking the time to check Phil, did you happen to notice the makers; were they all Savage marked?

#25 Phil Askew

Phil Askew

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 07:28 PM

PK, They were all Savage and one had a small crown on it. I was told this might be a Danish proof mark.