Is 1928a1 All That Cracked To Be?

First of I like to say hi to all of you this is a nice forum has lots of good info

Her is my situation am currently shopping for a 1928A1 Thompson personally I don’t care if its WWII gun or C&R gun as am in GA but I do like the idea of 50rnd drum so m1a is out and colt cost to much and I never purchase a gun that I hesitate to go out and shot (and with 40k in it you be crazy to not hesitate) so am down to only too chooses (plz correct me if am wrong) and that’s 1928a1 Brigeport or savage or 1928 WH Thomson.

It is my understanding that WH are not as good quality as that of ww2 Thompson that were made to last a life time but I have found one hear http://www.urban-armory.com/class3.htm (17k) with savage internals is these a good compromise for a person that wants a nice Thompson that last a life time even if its shot regularly (about 1.5-2k a year) ? also 17k is obviously a BS price what be fair price ?

Second Thompson that got my attention is a 1928a1 Brigeport at http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/photoso...4/806thomp.html its hi price (22k) but it is a gun with history so even if I don’t care for it I be willing to pay for extra for quality and bragging writes but there are to things that I don’t like and that’s its sights and its barrel so my question is can I change it to regular colt sights ( do not remember what they are called) and if so were can I find them and who can do the work? And were can I find finned barrels and a smith that can change the barrels ?

Also are they other actions I need to take a look at ? personally a leaning towards 1928a1 Thompson I don’t mind paying extra but as long as am gating a butefole SMG that well last a life time.

Thank you for any help I appreciate any advice (or history lesson) as long as its based on personal experience or learned it from ppl that had personal experience (dame you History channel and you lies about ppsh41 and AK been inaccurate and m16 been unreliable and FAL uncontrollable in FA) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Thank you

Ntom--

Welcome to the boards. Personally, I think the prices of both guns are a bit rich, even by todays prices. Of recent, W.H. were going for around 12 to 13K and the 1928 A1 commanded a range of about 17 to 20K. Maybe you pay an added premium for the AC, I don't know. Of course, since we don't see many vintage Thompsons available, you may have to dance to what ever tune is out there.

Yes, the barrel and sights can be changed, but is a job for one of our Thompson smiths. For as much as these guns cost, I wouldn't trust my own skills or those of my local gunsmiths.

To be a Thompson owner is not a race.

As you were advised these prices are "rich" that's not to say someone will not pay the premium. I have several guns and the WH is my shooter.

I shoot my 21 but with care, only using factory US ammo. And not often.

I would think you can find a WH in the $10,000 range. 2 years ago I paid $7,000 for a brand new one, never shot - never shot because it wouldnt shoot! A little work and it works great.

Welcome to the board - hope you find your gun at a fair price - just hold your water! You will find a gun with a finned Bbl and Lyman rear sight.

QUOTE (Ron A @ Jan 29 2005, 11:24 PM)
To be a Thompson owner is not a race.

This is great advise. You need to be prepared to act but only after you've had a chance to study the market a little.

I believe the current market for West Hurleys is $11k to $13k. At the recent SAR show, they were selling for as much as $13.5k but I think you can do better.

I believe West Hurleys establish the "base" and everything else ratches up from there. IMHO, a $2-3k premium for an authentic WW2 M1/M1A1 is very reasonable. That would put those guns in the $14k to $16k range.

Because of the "coolness" factor of the drums and because they are pretty identical in form and function to the original 1921 Thompson, I believe there is another 3 to $4k premium for the 1928/1928A1 Thompsons. That would put them in the $17k to $20k range.

I won't even comment on the Colt market because I don't even begin to understand it.

Finally, many folks believe NFA ownership is a ticket to riches. Don't fall into that trap. A late-night, smoke-filled, back room deal among our friends in Washington could erase the "value" of your "investment" in a matter of moments.

Ntom: Good advice to look around. I suggest you join the Thompson Collectors Association (TCA). They have a western shoot coming up and the central Ohio show and shoot is in August. Dues are $30.00 per year and includes 4 issues of the TCA news. You must be a member and you must be preregistered to attend the show and shoot. For more info or to join write TCA, P.O. Box 8710, Newark, Ohio 43058-8710. Do it now!

The '28A1 (now AC) pictured is original and beautiful, and I like the late production configuration. WH guns are desirable in their own right, but to my mind, nothing beats original USGI. (I own examples of both.) The smooth barrel, "L" sight version pictured isn't all that common, and does accept the drum. Too rich for my blood, but if it were mine, I wouldn't modify it.

Ntom, you are getting some great advice. I can add nothing.

What I will say is what a great place this is. You guys are incredible. Wish this place was around when I was shopping for my '28.

And Ntom, even the new guy had something to contribute, I had never been to the Urban Armory website. Pretty cool stuff there. I couldn't comment on any of the prices, but lots of neat things to look at.

Dave

ntom,

I faced the same choice last spring. I could have bought a WH 28 for $9500 which at the time I thought was a pretty good deal. It wasn't a C&R and I really wanted a Savage or an A.O. I ended up with a C&R A.O. 1928ac with a bit of P.D. history for 17K. A little high priced at the time and not nearly as good of a deal as the WH for 9.5K. The only thing that I regret is that I didn't buy them both. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Thx for all the help I have purchased a WH from a board member pca16 along with all toys I wonted with price I can live with. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t wont to purchase another Thompson it jest that now am looking for a 1928A1 savage or Bridgeport preferable WWII Thompson with sights I like and finned barrels and nice wood in mint condition so any suggestions? (you all do know that it is all your fault that am becoming a Thompson junky http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif THX

Not only is there no cure for "Thompsonitius" the infection is contagious. Do not let your friends shoot a Thompson unless ................. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif