Ammo For A Semi Auto

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tvrc18

tvrc18

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:20 AM

What ammo have you semi auto shooters used with good results? I have used Federal American Eagle and it worked ok but was kind of dirty. Was thinking of Winchester but have heard bad things about it.

#2 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:34 PM

200 rounds threw new L drum yesterday, no problems with that brand ever for me. Watch out for American Amunition, Quality control is lousy to no existant.

BB

#3 Dylan

Dylan

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

I've used Wolf, Federal, Remington/UMC, CCI, Winchester, and S&B. I quit using Wolf since it seemed like more than coincidence that both times my extrator broke was while shooting it, otherwise it's the best bang for the buck... just dirty. Federal and Remington/UMC are both nice but too pricey in my area. I don't like CCI since I had a few cases (aluminum) that looked like they were tearing at the mouth after I shot them. Winchester is decent ammo for a good price that can be found practically anywhere (wally world carries 100 round packs for $19) but it is horribly dirty, by far the dirtiest I've shot. My personal favourite is the Sellier&Bellot ammo. I usually pick it up at the local gun show for around $8-9 a box, it shoots clean and accuracy is quite good. For good quality fruit and vegetable shooting though, I stick with Winchester hollow points (stick mags only, don't even try them in a drum).

#4 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:09 PM

wally world WWB and A/E. the thompson gets ball while the 1911's gets fed the hollow points every now and then.
dirty, yes
goes bang when it's supposed too? yes

i have not had any problems with either one yet.
between the thompson and the 1911's i have seen quite a bit of both. and i havn't had a fail to fire, do to the round it's self yet.

#5 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:57 PM

I've allways sworn by Winchester, but
I'm starting to like Speer Lawman.
Cheap and not as dirty as W/W.
Zamm

#6 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 08:47 PM

S&B, and it's cheap too!

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4626 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:02 PM

I shoot alot of S&B. Runs good and never had any problems.

#8 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:37 AM

Perhaps an excellent prospect for this:

http://www.machinegu...t=ST&f=3&t=4235

Offer some help in the FAQ.