• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle3

Eagle3

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:52 AM

Just picked up a original Kerr (NOBUCKL) sling for my Savage 28 at a gun show. It is in great shape, sort of mustard yellow. Paid $25.00, is this the going price, or did I pay too much or a good buy? And, it smells like the room full auto .45 describes in Ohio, MUSTY.

#2 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4388 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:00 PM

That was a very good buy at $25. Many are going for $50 to $75.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#3 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 31 January 2005 - 12:34 PM

Sounds ok to me, Kerr's I have been tracking on ebaY are selling for $62 - $75+. Sounds like you have the M3 , the sling model not the gun, sling rather than the model 1917 Kerr sling...... Does it say NOBUCKL on it? What length is it?

#4 Eagle3

Eagle3

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:27 PM

Z3, I think you are correct in assuming it is a M3 as the length is shorter than the 1917 Kerr rifle sling. But, it is also a Kerr as it has the NOBUCKL hardware with the patent dates of 7-21-14.

#5 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:31 PM

Color and length = M3...... I didn't know they used the same hardware..... nice to know......

Blaine

#6 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 04:40 PM

Eagle3,

I am not a sling expert, but my understanding is that the M3 slings do not have the NOBUCKL markings. The fittings were simply blued on the ones that were mustard in color.

Other members of the board can confirm or deny what I just said, but it sounds like you may have either a repro or a unique combination of Kerr and M3.

Sling RKI....what's the scoup??

Roger

#7 Eagle3

Eagle3

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:44 PM

Just a note to say that the sling is not a repro, and has as mentioned the NOBUCKL hardware. According to Frank's book, American Thunder II, on page 366, "There have also been some M3 slings documented that were apparently manufactured by the "Kerr" company that made the 1917 web slings." This is apparantly what I have. It also has mildew proofed and 194?, can't read the last number, stenciled on the web material. I appreciate all responses, as I am very interested in acquiring the correct accouterments for my Thompson.

#8 JDG

JDG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:WW II military guns. Old Mopar hot rods and '73 to '79 Ford trucks. Peering through my telescope at the stars and planets. Riding my dirt bike and back packing.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:22 AM

I don't think these are all that rare, I have two of them and see them regulary on Ebay - mustard color, shorter length than the rifle Kerr's and with the Nobuckl markings. $25 is a great price, I paid $30 for my last one, which included shipping.

#9 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

Eagle3,

I stand corrected. I didn't have my American Thunder II for reference when I replied. This is some of the "new" info that Frank has included in AT II.