- - - - -

Shooting Buttless

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greg

Greg

• Regular Group
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Arrowhead hunting, military history, firearms.<br><br>Retired police officer/narcotics officer (24yrs).

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:40 PM

Is it a no no to shoot a 28a1 without the buttstock attached? I just piked up a used small violin case and am thinking about converting it into a case, but it appears it will only hold the gun and mag.

#2 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

It'll shoot just fine without the buttstock. There was a WWII photo on the board recently of a TSMG rigged with the sling through the trigger guard for use in just that way. Good luck in controlling it!

#3 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:18 PM

Isn`t that called going `Commando`?....or maybe that is something else.... huh.gif

#4 nedry

nedry

• Regular Group
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Personally, when I tried out the late '28A1 that was my first, I was partial to shooting without the stock. Less weight to wrestle with, and easier to get my arm directly inline with the barrel/grip/frame for the kind of "power stance" I prefer.

Just my experience. Try it, you might like it. Or not... The only way to know is to give it a shot (or two, or three, or maybe a whole mag dump...)

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 01 February 2005 - 09:56 PM

The Thompson was originally designed with no provision for a stock- fire away!

#6 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:17 PM

Actually, without the stock you should be able to hold it with one hand and shoot it like a pistol. Sure it may be a bit difficult with the 100 round drum.

#7 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 888 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:22 AM

I've found that for my stance and physical makeup, shooting without the buttstock is generally more controllable if a vertical foregrip is also used as in the original design. I get a lot more barrel flip when a horizontal foregrip is on the gun.

Other may have different experiences, mileage may vary, etc.

MP

#8 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:16 PM

Some refer to firing with the buttstock removed as putting the gun in the
"Babyface Nelson Mode" ..... wink.gif

I have had lots of fun blazing away from the hip. as it were, and one can even achieve some accuracy by holding the gun up level and using the sights!!

We buy these to have fun with, and as long as it can be done SAFELY. have FUN with it!

john

#9 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

Greg,

I also received a very old violin case, seeing that the Thompson is a tad too large for it "without" taking it apart. I've started up-scaling and producing a new case that will accommodate the Thompson intact.

Its far smaller than the guitar case that AO and Kahr offer (d)

Believe me there is more to making a violin case than meets the eye. But I am tooling up!

Give me some time, and I'll post some photos. I plan on getting a table saw by the weekend, next a steam box.

#10 Greg

Greg

• Regular Group
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:Arrowhead hunting, military history, firearms.<br><br>Retired police officer/narcotics officer (24yrs).

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:43 PM

Thanks everybody, I'll give is a shot or two or probably the hole mag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My young son has started introducing me to his friends as " My dad the Gangster" because of the violin/gun case project. The weird looks are great. Not only do I intemidate them because I was a Narc, but now they think I'm really crazy!!