Photo
- - - - -

Semi Auto Section And Full Auto Section

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Semi Auto Forum? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Semi Auto Forum?

1. I support a seperate semi auto forum (post why please) (28 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. I oppose a seperate semi auto forum (post why please) (42 votes [47.73%])

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

3. I don't give a F&*K (post why please :) (18 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 11:58 AM

Z3 has a good point. huh.gif

#22 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:03 PM

I oppose. Even if it's not meant to be elitist it will appear that way to newbies who don't know how good most of the people here are about welcoming and answering their questions.
Semi's and FA may be two differant guns but neither would exist if it were not for John T. Thompson. The love of this design and image should unite us.
The thoughts and problems that semi owners have always remind me how fortunate I am to own my FA.

#23 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 02 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

Keep the boars whole, I'm on my second SA and have an out of state Uncle with the FA and I'm not allowed to move up to FA until I move or get some laws changed. The number of FA's is fixed; (I'd like to correct that oversight as well) and most of the new guys are SA and Khar is still cranking copys (bad, indiferent, or otherwise) out. Everyone want's a low numbered Colt in pristine shape or three, but we're all an overlapped mess of a group becouse of our intrest, (or obsession acording to my better half) and splitting the boards is not going to save band width, just make a bigger mess.

My.02
BB

#24 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:17 PM

We are all interested in Thompsons: Colt, "Irish Sword," , Auto-Ordnance, Savage, WWII, police, FBI, MI, MIAI, NAC, WH, Numrich, Pearl,1927 semi, Kahr (cough,cough,ah-hem, well maybe),etc. Let's keep it all on one board, even though the family may be slightly disfunctional! laugh.gif smile.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#25 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:50 PM

A solution searching for a problem.

The current setup is fine.

#26 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:30 PM

It really doesn't matter to me, I own a Semi only, but I do own a fair amount of FA 20's related parts, and collectable items. I hope to one day own a FA, but its out of the question at this point, financially.

I have gained a ton of information from this site, and neither my semi, or my collection would be half as nice as they are without the assistance of the RKI's here.
I've done some business as well with members of the board. Got to tell you that its far better and safer than e-bay or another auction site.

Heck even made a few good friends via e-mail from here. I would most likely watch both boards, its just easier to come to one source. I check in at least twice a day sometimes many more.

Even if you look at the other sites that Nick has up dedicated to different models of machineguns, the Thompson is by far the most active.

I prefer it as is, but should the changes be made I'll still be here.

Sure I'm a want-to-be FA owner, but isn't part of the excitement in sharing information about a hobby we all apparently love.

#27 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4347 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

Just my $.02...

If you separate the sites, some of the same things will likely get posted on both. This may increase bandwidth usage, which makes the site more expensive for the owner.

Also, the owners of the site may not want to separate the forums. Obviously, they have the final say...

This site is great just the way it is...

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#28 wildwilly2002

wildwilly2002

• Regular Group
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:18 PM

Walter63a said it best! Good for you guy. We are all equal here and want to share our knowledge and interest.

#29 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:39 PM

I am opposed to a separate board because its more fuckin work for me! wink.gif

#30 brian

brian

• Regular Group
  • 345 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Nick Iannamico @ Feb 2 2005, 08:39 PM)
I am opposed to a separate board because its more fuckin work for me!  wink.gif

and that pretty much closes the book on this subject, which is fine with me.
dual posting, having to jump back and forth, blah bla blah.....

although perhaps a semi only FAQ

Edited by brian, 02 February 2005 - 09:39 PM.

#31 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

Hopefully John Jr. will be humble in defeat..... dry.gif

#32 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 2 2005, 08:28 PM)

In the interest of goodwill, I will refrain from replying to Z3.

I think that brian has a great idea and thus I started this thread

http://www.machinegu...t=ST&f=3&t=4235

All you guys that know about semi autos post there with questions that will help out. I know some of them are already in the FAQ at the top of the page, but add to it for the semi auto crowd.

The majority of those that voted for a full auto and a semi auto board didn't post. That was a bit cowardly IMHO, but thats ok. I don't mind being honest and I am open to other viewpoints.

I certainly don't want to create anymore work for Nick, I really didn't think about that. (Sorry Nick)

I realize that most people think that anyone with a full auto is just another rich asshole. I may be an asshole, but I ain't rich! biggrin.gif

Have fun. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

#33 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:18 AM

Agreed.

#34 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:57 AM

Damn John, with all those updates to old posts, I gotta ask, is everything going OKAY with you as of late? Hope everything has been well. No need to take out any aggression towards SA Owners.. Sit back, and relax Man..Serenity Now! Perhaps I should send you a Falling Rain CD..It would put you right at ease. With all that being said, a SA FAQ IS a good idea! Too many of the same, old boring (Y A W N) questions. It's enough to drive anyone Nuts!

#35 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 03 February 2005 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 3 2005, 12:01 AM)
QUOTE (Z3BigDaddy @ Feb 2 2005, 08:28 PM)

In the interest of goodwill, I will refrain from replying to Z3.

I think that brian has a great idea and thus I started this thread

http://www.machinegu...t=ST&f=3&t=4235

All you guys that know about semi autos post there with questions that will help out. I know some of them are already in the FAQ at the top of the page, but add to it for the semi auto crowd.

The majority of those that voted for a full auto and a semi auto board didn't post. That was a bit cowardly IMHO, but thats ok. I don't mind being honest and I am open to other viewpoints.

I certainly don't want to create anymore work for Nick, I really didn't think about that. (Sorry Nick)

I realize that most people think that anyone with a full auto is just another rich asshole. I may be an asshole, but I ain't rich! biggrin.gif

Have fun. Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

You owe me goodwill? Guess you answered my post in a roundabout way...... ph34r.gif

"With all that being said, a SA FAQ IS a good idea! Too many of the same, old boring (Y A W N) questions. It's enough to drive anyone Nuts!"

LHart, and we don't get the same from f/a folks? But I do agree it sounds great! I know if Jr. makes a Semi FAQ page Nick will most likely post it and host it..... Because that's the kinda guy Nick is....

Arty, Bawahahahahahaha.....

#36 The Virginian

The Virginian

• Regular Group
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:40 AM

The exchange between the two groups of owners has been good and I see no good reason to change. Yes, eventhough there is a FAQ section, not everyone reads it or gets their question answered from it. I for one, do not mind repeat questions especially from newbies.

#37 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 03 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

I voted to stay the way it is...why mess with perfection?.... wink.gif

#38 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 03 February 2005 - 03:16 PM

I say, Let's do keep it the way it is...
To much related topics and parts and so on... learned so much in 2 years ( how to keep a checkbook in the red),
Us semi guys get invaluable info from the full auto side.
If I ever move to another state or F/A friendly country ( Man, that Murray looks awfully relaxed tongue.gif ),
I would be F/A in a heartbeat.
But for now, I do have the same passion as all of us, except it takes me
longer to go through all that ammo. wink.gif
Zamm

#39 Waffen Und Bier

Waffen Und Bier

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 642 posts
  • Interests:Like the name says "Guns and beer" (and really hot chicks who like guns and beer).

Posted 03 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

IDGAF. Semi auto-American, full auto-American, I'm a selective fire-American myself, personally. This question kinda reminds me of those Sneeches with stars on thar's. tongue.gif Seriously, I hate those hyphenated American labels. If people put the type of fire (semi, or full) in the post title, I see no reason to separate the boards. But that's just me.

#40 45fan

45fan

• Regular Group
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:25 PM

Perhaps John Jr.'s sudden increase in activity on this forum can be explained by observing the time stamps on his posts?

Posted on Feb 2 2005, 01:21 AM

Posted on Feb 2 2005, 01:34 AM

Posted: Feb 3 2005, 12:51 AM

Posted: Feb 3 2005, 12:49 AM

Posted: Feb 3 2005, 12:48 AM

Etc.

Up late, errr early were you, John? Ok now, step AWAY from the Miller Lite can.

LOL!!! wink.gif