Photo
- - - - -

Semi Auto Section And Full Auto Section

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Poll: Semi Auto Forum? (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Semi Auto Forum?

1. I support a seperate semi auto forum (post why please) (28 votes [31.82%])

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. I oppose a seperate semi auto forum (post why please) (42 votes [47.73%])

Percentage of vote: 47.73%

3. I don't give a F&*K (post why please :) (18 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 03 February 2005 - 11:51 PM

I always follow the cardinal rule

user posted image

biggrin.gif

#42 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:55 AM

For fear of encouaging JR, that is the neatest sign I've seen in a long time. PS. If I see Jr's semi link one more time, I'm going to find out what my compensator taste's like. blink.gif

#43 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:21 AM

laugh.gif

#44 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

I don't know, but I think some of my best posts have been made while (at least) slightly inebriated!! biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#45 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Walter63a @ Feb 4 2005, 09:22 PM)
I don't know, but I think some of my best posts have been made while (at least) slightly inebriated!! biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Thanks Walter. That DOES explain a lot! laugh.gif

#46 Kevin

Kevin

• Regular Group
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Airplanes
    Guns
    Hot Rods

Posted 05 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

I'm a machine operator. I don't really care what kind of machine it is, I like to use them. As long as is is good quality and does the job I like it. biggrin.gif
Kevin

I voted - I don't care

#47 OldFalGuy

OldFalGuy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 700 posts
  • Interests:Sporting Clays, Skeet, Reloading and just plain Living

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:02 AM

I think it would keeps things in better order to separate them. From the poll at the top of the front page it is crystal clear (as of the time of this writing) that 100% of the responders to the poll are full auto guys. I think John Jr. may well have a very valid point that SA might not feel like they should ask an SA question (and they should all feel free to do so) around a bunch of heathens with FA (that's a joke guys).

Mark

#48 Phil Askew

Phil Askew

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 07:30 AM

Guys, I think something else that should be said is the fact that we are losing our entry level into our hobby. The cost of FA Thompsons has put a lot of people out of the market. We need to keep the interest fresh with new people that love Thompsons but might not be able to afford a FA. The semi's offer that. The bottom line is we all share the interest of a legendary weapon. Keep things as they are, just my .02.

#49 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 06 February 2005 - 12:16 PM

Phil,
Good point.
Have to look at my own experience when first joining the board.
I knew nothing about any of this stuff. sad.gif
Patient board members responded to questions, offered info ,
friendships were formed, and I now have a wonderful firearm instead of a lump of West Hurley
semi crap. Newbies will mostly be semi owners, who will have the occasional question. I don't think it's a big put out to anyone
to answer the occassional redundant question to a newcomer or point to the Semi Faq section.
A seperate Semi board will not contain the wealth of info, nor the historical data and stories that the full
board does. One can not expect Nick to start a new board, it's also just asking too much...
Besides, it kind of fun for us to hang with the "tough" guys wink.gif
Another 2 cents,
Z

#50 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Zamm @ Feb 6 2005, 12:16 PM)
Phil,
Good point.
Have to look at my own experience when first joining the board.
I knew nothing about any of this stuff. sad.gif
Patient board members responded to questions, offered info ,
friendships were formed, and I now have a wonderful firearm instead of a lump of West Hurley
semi crap. Newbies will mostly be semi owners, who will have the occasional question. I don't think it's a big put out to anyone
to answer the occassional redundant question to a newcomer or point to the Semi Faq section.
A seperate Semi board will not contain the wealth of info, nor the historical data and stories that the full
board does. One can not expect Nick to start a new board, it's also just asking too much...
Besides, it kind of fun for us to hang with the "tough" guys wink.gif
Another 2 cents,
Z

Is that like 6 or 8 cents worth now? I feel sorry for people in the backward states, who can't even dream of saving enuff to own a full auto because it ain't allowed no how...... I would be packin my bags personally.... But at least they can particpate cyberly w/o being sent to the semi only room...... ph34r.gif

#51 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

Z3,
As being a resident of a firearms "challenged" state, I couldn't agree more. This board
sure does fill the void a bit.
Actually, that was my 4 cents and your up to 10 laugh.gif
Z

#52 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

Can I get change for a quarters worth then? ph34r.gif

#53 dallasboy_75287

dallasboy_75287

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 02:34 PM

I voted "don't give a F'

I've owned both, only FA now. I don't think it would be a good idea to separate SA from FA owners.

#54 JTinIN

JTinIN

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Machine guns and Flintlocks

Posted 06 February 2005 - 04:19 PM

Voted did not care. I typically skim the semi postings in anycase.

For the moderator(s) would be more of a pain, over at Subguns a lot of the regulars hang out on the NFA board even if discussion is primaryly semi (can always add a footnote of "Reguired NFA Item - Would Be Interesting Suppressed" just to bend the rules in any case ;-)

Edited by JTinIN, 06 February 2005 - 04:20 PM.

#55 maverick4440

maverick4440

• Regular Group
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:11 PM

I like having the semi and full auto posts on the same board. I don't have a full auto YET but there are enough similarities in both that I have gained useful information from full auto posts as well as the semi auto posts. Even though Mine is a semi I file away for future reference things that will come in handy should I ever aquire a full auto thompson. A thompson is a thompson wether it's full or semi in My opinion. They both have an incredible "Cool" factor and splitting up the posts would serve no purpose other than to create an elitist attitude for the full auto shooters. Reading the full as well as semi auto posts has done alot to educate Me on what to look for and gives Me some knowledge so I don't go in blindly buying the first full auto I find and then find out later I got screwed. I might not spend as much time on the full auto board and consequently would not gain the information if I spent most of My time on the semi auto board. I also will continue shooting semi's even if I do eventually aquire a class III so I would rather see them all kept on the same page. I would bet at least half of the full auto shooters also have a semi or two as well.
maverick

#56 Lafayette Gregory

Lafayette Gregory

• Regular Group
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 05:31 PM

I am no FA elitist. Ihave a collection of Fa and Sa weapons. When it is time to talk i do like to keep the facts straight. I think seperate sections would be good and I would visit both.