27 replies to this topic

#21 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 23 September 2003 - 10:38 PM

That is an interesting gun. Never heard of that company. And Dan, thanks for the explanation on the plug fire subject. I didn't know how that worked.

By the way: There's a guy a Ebay who sells a "firing pin" for MGC Thompsons that aren't factory-equipped for the plug fire. How can that work??? He wants like $75 for it, and I didn't go for it. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron

#22 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 24 September 2003 - 12:45 AM

Ron, actually, MGC made 4 types of cartridges (1. the brass paper cap cartridge (2. plastic paper cap cartridge (3. the "CP" type (4. the HW type (improved piston sealing) The "Plug Cap firing" system was invented by Marushin.

the "firing pin" is actually a "chamber" with a firing pin in it, facing the cartridge. of course this firing pin enters the "hollow point" in the the round and hits the "CP" (Cap Piston) which is forced backwards (this piston usually has a O-ring as in the case of the later versions of the cartridges or an old fired cap, that acts as a gas seal) now, this piston has a projection which hits the cap that is facing powder side up at the cartridge bottom. This of course, ignites the cap.The gasses then impinge on the piston and seal and force the piston against the firing pin this supplies the power to blow-back the action.

This chamber of course is made to replace either the "paper cap" cartridge chamber/firing pin, or the dummy (solid!) chamber that the "collectors armory" chose to insert into some (but not all) of these modelguns. As for the Kokusai company, they made lot's of modelguns over the years, nice ones too.

#23 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1681 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 03:45 PM

The ebay "firing pins" are being made by a guy I've delt with. Seems like some guns were "demilitartized" by cutting the bolt at an angle and taking out the "firing pin" and replacing it with a solid plug. I've had three of them like that. Makes me wonder why someone (collectors armory???) would go to the trouble to delimitarize a toy gun? Maybe it went to Europe at some point in its life. Anyway, I made a new plug and was visiting with the ebay seller (his name is Roger by the way) about it and so he got the idea to have a bunch of them made up at a machine shop. They are very nicely made.
Now the only problem if you have one of the butchered guns to to fix the bolt. I've had some success doing that. The other problem is getting the solid plug out. They are usually stuck in there with a roll pin that doesn't want to come out.
Dan

#24 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for all the clarification, fellers. Interesting to learn how the different cartridges function. I know that the Collectors Armoury folks were looking to a vendor in Spain for better prices on modelguns, since the $ vs. yen situation was really grim in the early 90's. But my MGC is definitely Land of the Rising Sun. Some pistol models were brought in from Spain.
Any knowledge of a PPSh-41 put out by that Kokusai company? I'm still hunting for one, just static display.

#25 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 September 2003 - 07:29 PM

Not sure of what type of "round" my gun shoots as none came w/ it! sad.gif

The 50 rd drum is basically empty too - no springs inside of it

Thanks for everyone's help w/ this!

AIRBORNE!

Chris

#26 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 25 September 2003 - 01:18 AM

Ron, I have't heard that Kokusai made a PPSH 41! wow, Kokusai made more modelguns than i thought! "Hudson" makes an PPSH 41 too...it is currently available from www.endoshoji-jp.com/index.html expensive though!! or from www.uncompany.com (other guns section)

Chris, i think that your Kokusai probably uses the "paper cap" cartridges. If you take some pictures of the "chamber," i think that I can tell you what cartridges you need to get your Kokusai "running" I have some friends in Japan who might be able to help find some cartridges for you, who knows? As for the drum magazine, it sounds like you have an MGC (display) 39 rd drum there.

#27 Ben

Ben

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 September 2003 - 02:02 AM

It is possible to get the solid plug out of these Thompsons, I've done it myself..just takes a very sharp drill bit and a bit of care. I've also had dealings with Roger and he was very helpful and friendly. The firing pins he sells are very nicely made and fit perfectly and he even managed to find me a replacement bolt that hadn't been cut on the end.

Mark, I've tried to get in touch with you about the MP40 parts you've got, did you get my email?

#28 lewis505

lewis505

• Regular Group
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2003 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (mp40 @ Sep 25 2003, 01:18 AM)

Chris, i think that your Kokusai probably uses the "paper cap" cartridges. If you take some pictures of the "chamber," i think that I can tell you what cartridges you need to get your Kokusai "running" I have some friends in Japan who might be able to help find some cartridges for you, who knows? As for the drum magazine, it sounds like you have an MGC (display) 39 rd drum there.[/color]

Thanks man - will get some pix to you ;

and you are correct about the drum!

Thanks man - will get some pix to you ;

and you are correct about the drum!