• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:43 PM

I know evilbay started a new policy banning "assault weapon" and full auto items, but I was surprised when they cancelled my add for an M3 sling. There are dozens of other Thompson items advertised all the time, including other slings, so what's the trick?

#2 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:08 PM

Keep in mind, they may have an automated process to delete auctions based on keywords.

I have sold items that should have been cancelled without problems but had to be careful with my wording.

What was the text used within the auction?

#3 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:04 AM

Didn't keep a copy of all of my text. Here was the headline: "WWII Thompson Sling -- Unissued -- M1/M1A1, 1928" At first I thought it was the word "Thompson" in the headline, but I see a lot of other stuff with "Thompson" in the headline.

#4 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:15 AM

Most auctions that I see have some half-assed disclaimer that says, this auction complies with ebay rules. This auction is not illegal as per ebay ...

Try again, you will sell it.

#5 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:42 AM

Don't use the term "machine gun", TSMG instead, and Junior also has a valid point. Always put "this auction is in compliance with all ebaY™ rules", and is legal etc. type disclaimer....

#6 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

Yeah, never use the term "machine gun", ebay is very confused about what an "assault" weapon is, and they think "machine guns" are "assault" weapons.

I don't think automation is involved though, I think dickhead do-gooders troll ebay for certain keywords and then submit complaints to ebay. Fortunately, as with most do-gooders, they are ignorant, and the term "TSMG" seems to get by them. I notice lots of large capacity mags being listed as "unknown Thompson part" with a picture, but no description. Real hard for the do-gooders to find anything that way!

I use the following disclaimer:

Note to Ebay: These parts fit only Thompson models 1921/1928/1928A1/M1/M1A1, none of which are classifed as "assault rifles" by either BATFE or California.

#7 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 781 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 17 February 2005 - 03:27 PM

You are right, it must have something to do with the wording. I tried listing a stock the other day and It was pulled....at the same time there were 3 other Thompson stocks listed on the site. Needless to say I was pissed and I wrote and I told them they were a bunch of morons, unfortunately that didn't help me, but I did feel a lot better! biggrin.gif

Mike Hammer

#8 younghistorians

younghistorians

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 07:47 PM

You could always ask them. They have a live chat option on the main page that you could ask them about. You can do it without signing in so they don't know who is asking what. Try it.

#9 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:58 PM

I'm trying again, with a different vocabulary. The only thing I can tell different about my text, compared to other ads, is that I had M1/M1A1 in the headline. Maybe M1A1 is one of their keywords. I'll see if this one, for an "Unissued WWII Thompson Sling," stays up. Thanks.

#10 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

I sold one of my paintball guns and had to reword the auction 6 times before it was accepted... I still have NO idea what in the auction tipped it off. I used the word "marker" instead of gun, still flagged it.

PLUS!! There are a WHOLE gang of people who do NOTHING but troll ebay looking for auctions to report and have cancelled. The are amazing at what they do.. Check out the ebay message boards some times... incredible the lenghts these people goto to have auctions killed.

#11 45wheelgun

45wheelgun

• Regular Group
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:07 AM

Someone else with ebay problems.....Really funny gun related ebay item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...item=7135441836