• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:43 PM

I had the unique opportunity last Friday to sort through 880 NOS Thompson XX magazines. smile.gif smile.gif The shipment was essentially all Auto-Ordnance and Seymour marked mags. There were none of the A-O variation that has the U stamped on the outside of the backstrap, which I believe is the last manufactured variation. Therefore these apparently came from earlier shipments. I did not count the number of A-O vs. Seymour, but would estimate the mix to be 75/25, respectively.

I took the time to inspect (remove the floorplate) 300 of the right-hand A-O mags to deteremine which variation they were. I found 13 with MSCO stamped inside the backstrap. The rest were about a 60/40 mix of USCO and blank inside the backstap. There were also 24 of the left-hand A-O mags in the 880.

Before any of you ask, yes, I did find a couple nuggets in the shipment. There was one patent date 24/24 with MSCO inside the backstrap. I found it in the last 50 that I opened, so diligence (some may have another word for it...) did pay off. I also found two WPS mags. These three went home with me, as did some of their A-O and Seymour brethren.

I have no financial interest in these mags, but if any of you are looking for NOS Thompson XX mags, I suggest you contact Ohio Ordnance Works (440-285-3481) and ask for "Karl". He is asking $30 each, but drops the price to $25 each for 3 or more. He will have some of the mags at the Louisville show on Feb. 26-27, so those attending can see them first hand.

Never thought I would spend a day sifting through a pile of Thompson mags, but then I never expected to see a crate of NOS XX mags either. What we do for our hobby........

I forgot to mention that these mags are simply lightly oiled. They do not have cosmoline on them, so there is no cleanup required.
Roger

Edited by TSMG28, 22 February 2005 - 09:25 AM.

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2421 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:55 AM

Roger,

Sounds like you found some unusual magazines in the lot. I admire your perseverance for opening the floor plates on that many magazines. How's your thumb, by the way? You're certainly a dedicated Thompson enthusiast to spend that many hours examining magazines. smile.gif

#3 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:15 AM

GI Jive,

Dedicated? Maybe....
Obsessed? Definitely.... wink.gif

My thumb was a little raw for a day or two, but it is better than M1 thumb. Besides, I found some nice MSCO's in the process.

I didn't know when I went to OOW that Karl had 880 of these things. I expected to just sort through a couple hundred and not pop the floorplates, but my curiosity got the better of me and I just could help looking through the whole lot. I stopped at 300 removing the floorplates because I ran out of time. Amazingly, my wife asked me why I didn't check them all and if I was going to make a second visit to "complete" my task. The jury is still out on whether I will make a return visit.

At least we now have a source if NOS XX mags that I certainly have not seen before. When was the last time anyone came across something like this?

Roger