Converted 27a1 (registered, Form 4)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 10:54 AM

Everyone,

I have been to the range twice with my newly converted full-auto Thompson 27A1 (registered, on form 4.)

I must say, it has performed great. No jams at 1000 rounds and the sights are straight.

It was funny, nobody else shooting noticed what I had until I let it rip. Then, many heads turned. I let many people shoot it, and we had a great time. XX mags and the old WH L drum worked great.

PK, it took me ten minutes to convince a guy that the receiver was of 27A1 dimensions and not 21/28 dimensions. He loved it.

Devlin and Dan; I got many compliments on the wood.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with it! wink.gif

Thanks All,

Norm blink.gif

#2 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1722 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:27 PM

Great to hear that you have a gun that you can shoot and have fun with. Thinking of range reports, reminds me of the rate of fire report in the back of the new american thunder book comparing different ammo. Interesting reading.

You earlier stated that your gun was too fast for the C drum. How heavy is your bolt compared to say an original M1A1 bolt.

"MY" post sample 28 was made without the blish lock feature, just the straight slot and we used a simple nut-and-bolt to hold the actuator and bolt together. I knew it shot fast, but it wasn't until we held a M1A1 and it side by side and pulled the triggers. The M1A1 still had about 10 rounds left (out of 30) when the 28 ran dry.
Dan

#3 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:00 PM

Dan,

My bolt is actually weighs less than an M1A1 or an M1 bolt.

Remember, being a gun with WH/Kahr 27A1 dimensions; it has 1/10 of an inch removed from the bottom of the bolt.

PK did fill as many holes as he could (with steel) on my bolt to add weight, but it is still lighter than a M1 (or M1A1) bolt.

The springs (from Dave Janowski) and the custom buffer (by PK) really make the gun shoot very comfortably. My gun uses a double spring setup like a WH 27A1, but no center spring.

Norm