Tapco Thompson 30rds Mags.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 warguns

warguns

• Regular Group
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:33 AM

Are tapco 5 pack Thompson mags. GI New blue or arsenal refinished.

#2 Johne49

Johne49

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:48 AM

I posted a message a couple of weeks ago that Tapco had magazines for sale 5ea for $69.99. They were advertised as new in wrap. I ordered 5 and was really disappointed. They were not new plus they were covered with surface rust.

I was going to post a note stating what I had received. However, I decided not to rant about it since Tapco did pay the shipping back and did give me a full refund. In my experience, Tapco seems to be customer oriented. I would mention that you want them checked before shipment to make sure they are as advertised and if they are arsenal refinished or new.

You may want to check Ohio Ordnance Works if your are interested in any 20 round mags. There was a post here several days ago talking about them. They were as advertised…very nice mags! I think Northridge still has 30 round mags for $29.95 each a little high I thought but they are very nice also. Good luck!

#3 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4584 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:10 AM

OOW has new very nice looking 20's for $30 or $35 EACH. I saw them on Saturday and they were nice looking. And they had a pile of them. At least 50 or 75 I would say. Give old Mike a call there and maybe they offer a bulk deal. They also had the 5 cell pouch with 5 mags in it but ouch, $250. And the pouch looked like a repro even though they say it;s original. Materail looks just like what I have on my thomspon shoulder holster pouch.

#4 Asmodeus

Asmodeus

• Regular Group
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

I bought the Tapco mags about 2 months ago when they had the buy 12 Excellent condition mags at $10.99 each. All 12 looked brand new with not an insertion mark on any of them.

#5 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1250 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:15 PM

It sure seems to be such a 'crap shoot' on mag buys, whether it's Tapco, OOW, Sportman's Guide, Cheaper Than Dirt, or whoever; not to shovel dirt on any of those folks. I have horror stories on several 20-round mags, but then I've gotten some great patent date mags in the same batch that I sold. Ya never know what you're gonna get, that's the problem. And the pouches, oy! Those repro pouches look pretty darn good these days.

If you can actually talk to somebody on the other end of the phone on the mags, it sure does help, albeit it's still a roll of the proverbial dice, from my experience. I guess this thing is like panning for gold...without the bears, the cold, the saloons -- oh the last one don't sound so bad!

If anyone has had consistent luck (like more than twice?) in ordering mags, let us know.

Ron

#6 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 12:07 AM

As Forrest Gump's mother said, "Life is like a box of Thompson mags... you never know what you're gonna get."

#7 skoda

skoda

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 75 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

I bought 5 of the Sportman's guide XX mags. None were perfect but four were pretty good. Two had soldered up holes and two were 'patent date' mags. I tried two of the worst looking ones and only one worked. It's like a roulette wheel.

#8 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 02 March 2005 - 05:23 PM

I bought a 28 bolt from Sprotsman Guide a couple of years ago. It was a blue Savage marked bolt and appears to be unfired. Price was $39.95 Also bought a 28 "bright " bolt from Sarco, Savage marked, appears unfired, $85.00. I was pleasantly pleased and surprized with both purchases.

#9 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 02 March 2005 - 06:30 PM

I don't buy anything from TAPCO. 99.99.9% of their own manufactured products are shoddy goods..

#10 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:58 PM

I agree that purchasing Thompson mags from any of the usual suspects (Tapco, Sportsmans Guide, Cheaper-Than-Dirt, What-A-Country, Sarco, etc.) is a total crap shoot. I have gotten a few really nice mags over the years, but most had seen real use and/or abuse. Some are parked, most blued (to one degree or another), some with dents, etc. A couple have been patent date, with the rest representing the breadth of Thompson mag manufacturers.

As Phil noted, terms such as "like new", "excellent", or even "used GI" don't seem to mean much when it comes to what you receive. I also agree that if you can speak with someone "knowledgeable" at the seller, you may get better results. However, some of the folks (through negligence or ignorance) just tell you whatever they think you want to hear and do nothing different when filling you order. Having said all of that, I can point to two recent purchases that were very positive.

If you are buying any of the latest batch of XX mags from Ohio Ordnance Works, I can tell you that all of their mags are essentially NOS (see my Magazine Mania post on these mags). They want a higher price for them than some of the other sellers, but you will not be taking chances on the condition. Mike (aka Karl) is the man to talk to at OOW.

I also recently purchased five XXX mags from a guy selling on Gunbroker. The seller ID is WHAT and he is located in Reno, NV. He has a mixture of Seymour and Crosby XXX mags in excellent condition that he is selling 5 for $65. S&H added $9, so the mags were essentially $15 each delivered. He is still posting these on Gunbroker and I understand he has a bunch available. He communicated well with me and delivered five excellent mags. They do have the cosmoline inside, so there is a little cleanup required.

Good luck everyone on your magazine purchases!

Roger

#11 junglewalk

junglewalk

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:The 98k rifle, MP-40 & 44; the Thompson.......reloading, HO scale military miniatures.......

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:18 PM

huh.gif Today, I received 8- magazines,30 rounders from the following gentleman;

KEN FRANZ
911 HIGHLAND DR
PLOVER WI 54467

At $10.00 each, I figured I would take a chance. I found him on war-rifles.com, down in the NFA / class three discussion section, in the market thread. They are all trade marked 'co', and are in nice shape......He has an email there, but if you can not find him, email me , and i'll send you his email address..........jw

#12 JDG

JDG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:WW II military guns. Old Mopar hot rods and '73 to '79 Ford trucks. Peering through my telescope at the stars and planets. Riding my dirt bike and back packing.

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:36 AM

I bought 5 from Ken Franz but for $11 each, he must charge more when he advertises on Sturm. Great condition, all 30 rounders. worth the cost.

#13 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 415 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:26 PM

Phil,

You are completely correct about Bob Landies and his integrity. I am honored to call him a friend and a fellow Christian. He lives his faith, and his integrity shows. He is a credit to firearms collecting and manufacturing. Anyone who owns or has seen one of this 1918A3 semi-auto BARs knows what kind of quality he produces.

Mike (also known as Karl because there is more than one Mike in the shop) handles all of his major shows and generally is the guy doing the dealing on components and parts. Mike's integrity is completely in line with Bob's, as frankly are all of the guys in the shop that I have encountered.

I don't know where Bob got this batch of XX mags, but I know it was honest and I know they are excellent.

Roger

#14 M1Brian

M1Brian

• Regular Group
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 02:57 PM

I just heard Omega has another batch of new in the wrapper xx's that just came into stock. Last batch he was asking 24.95 and he also has the 5 cell pouch. Better hurry

M1Brian

#15 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

I'm not a fan of Sportsman Guide at all. They totally gouge you on shipping. And this was the outfit that was selling NOS GI TSMG oilers that were replicas made in India. Because of their shipping gouging, essentially nothing they sell is a very good deal.

TAPCO is a mixed bag. I've had decent luck with them. Their dozen almost-new mags worked out to be a decent deal, though I immediately sent five of the dozen back for replacement with better ones. They paid all shipping costs and I ended up with 12 nice mags, though the exchange involved a bit of extra work on my part. The exchange was done cheerfully and promptly, however, which was nice.

Based on the earlier posts in this thread, it sounds like there are better ways to go than TAPCO.