28 Parts Kits

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#21 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:22 PM

Dare I say,

Fed's own it now.
Next stop = Destruction ?

Hope not, what a shame.
Z

#22 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:30 PM

Dare I say,

Fed's own it now.
Next stop = Destruction ?

Hope not, what a shame.
Z

Perhaps they do. Afterall, do any of us actually want to see all these dangerous parts hit the Streets? We must do everything we can to protect the Children!

#23 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 25 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hell No Lionhart!
You saw the photos! Could you imagine what would happen
if those stocks hit the streets??!!!
Man, ever get clocked in the jaw by a solid piece of Walnut complete with case hardened
WWII steel. Man, I can guarantee $10,000 Dental work!

And those frames! Sh*t! Gangs are just drooling about duck taping those to AK 48 recievers to complete some
of the most devistating assault weapons on the streets! God, with a Springfield pike bayonet crazy-glued and strap-wired to the Flash hider/supressor/compensator/evil barrel shroud/para-military french tickling end cap (NON-ORANGE to boot!) we might as well just give up and call it a day,
all is lost because assualt weapons will be mowing us down everywhere!
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzeeeeeeeeee!
Zamm

#24 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:27 PM

The kits were shipped from a place in the UK.(go figure) Houston was just a waypoint on its journey to Arizona. US Customs called us in to look at them to make sure there were no receivers in the crates. Customs has first crack at any US Munitions List violations. I'm sure that the person on the end will be interviewed.

Sorry, guys. No auction here. The way bill stated that the value was $1 per mag and $40 per parts kit. What a bargain! I told the Customs guy that the shipment was way undervalued so someone will have to pay the extra duties.

#25 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:29 PM

I should have become a Dentist... Feel your pain bro. It's NEVER cheap heading there. $2500.00 Root Canals.. Good lord.

#26 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

Tman,
Hell, Let's get the dealers address, Nod-nod Wink, Wink, and tell em we know how much he paid and are willing to double his investesment! wink.gif Just a thought......Z

Lionhart, with all the work I've had done over thee past 30 years, I am a Dentist!
Nurse comes in, shoots the X-ray, it comes up on the screen, I look, do my diagnosis ( bad news)... few minutes later, in comes the Dr., I tell him what I think...dead on, All I need is that pesky licence!!!
Z

#27 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

I bet these were going to that guy in AZ who we had all the discussions on a few months ago. He was selling parts kit and XX mags.What was his name? Seems that some board member went to his wharehouse and got to look through alot of this stuff and bought some XX mags. Anyone remember?

#28 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

OMEGA would be my guess...

#29 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:11 PM

Yeah that sounds right Lionhart. What was the email address?

#30 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

http://www.omega-wea...com/catalog.htm

Omega

#31 red cap

red cap

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

I believe that I recall reading that importing US military gun parts had been made illegal if the guns had originally been part of the Lend Lease program; that is, they were ALWAYS U.S. Property, just on loan so to speak (would apply to most all European and Korean sourced guns). That continued US "ownership" was the basis for having control over the property (the guns). I know that Lend Lease was used with the English, but it is entirely possible that Russian (or ex-Russian) Tommy guns were NOT part of Lend Lease but were a straight gift. That doesn't address the fact that the parts are for a machine gun, though. I wonder if this ban on auto gun parts was part of the recently dead assault rifle and high cap magazine laws??

#32 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:31 PM

These parts kits were showing up way before the AWB died. I don't think there is any connection between the two.

#33 amafrank

amafrank

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:MG's of all types. Cannons that can be transported by normal people. Fine firearms of all descriptions.

Posted 26 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

Lancer,
I don't have an answer to that but I do have a couple questions that are related.
Did we ship many of the drums to russia for the lend lease deal or had we decided by that time that drums were not efficient?
Did the russians not have any interest in the drums? I've seen TONS of 20rd mags come in with these kits and not too long ago 20rdrs were fairly rare here in the states. Did they buy more 20's and less or no drums??? I have seen lots of canvas for the 20rd mags and no drum carriers so that would tend to point that way too.

My historical knowledge of the thompsons is not great as I had little interest in them til I built my first post sample M1A1. I've now done a couple of those as well as an M1 and a 28A1. They aren't big sellers as many SOT's don't want to go to the trouble to get a demo letter for a gun most PD's got rid of already. The history has become more interesting now that I have some famliarity with the guns. I even traded a transferable MG for a Pre 86 dealer sample M1A1. The guns are neat and they grow on you.

On the import-export biz my knowledge comes from the big guys like Landies, Cole, IMA and the rest of the MG crowd. They are a hush hush bunch of guys but I've learned that none of them want to risk big bucks to make small profits when jail time is a possibility. I occasionally hear about the rules for importing from countries we aren't supposed to import from too.....lots of politics and bureaucracy. Rules change while your stuff is sitting in the harbor waiting to unload.
I'll just stick with the mechanical stuff....

Frank

#34 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2061 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hey Greg!

You said no auction, but look at what these items are and where are located!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...mMakeTrack=true

How much for the whole lot?? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#35 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 27 March 2005 - 04:28 PM

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Schultz " I know Nothing!"

#36 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 05:18 PM

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Schultz " I know Nothing!"

tongue.gif
Z

#37 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

FWIW, I suspect that Omega's excellent M1/M1A1 kits came from England. Many frames seem to have been painted over in black, and most oiler wells have a hunk of folded felt in them so that an Enfield oiler will fit without rattling. Sure are nice kits! Hope they're legal, but I can;t imagine that they're not, knowing Ron at Omega. These kits are just beautiful, and I suggest that you get your hands on one!

#38 TSMG05

TSMG05

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:54 PM

FWIW, I suspect that Omega's excellent M1/M1A1 kits came from England. Many frames seem to have been painted over in black, and most oiler wells have a hunk of folded felt in them so that an Enfield oiler will fit without rattling. Sure are nice kits! Hope they're legal, but I can;t imagine that they're not, knowing Ron at Omega. These kits are just beautiful, and I suggest that you get your hands on one!

TSMGguy, assuming the M1A1 Omega kits are legal (which may be a dangerous assumption?), purchasing one of these kits would get you a nearly complete M1A1 minus the receiver - if I understand everything correctly. How then would you complete such a gun? In other words, is there any legal way to purchase an M1A1 receiver? I'm new to this forum and have read through most of the posts and FAQ posting, but have not been able to find an answer to this. Thanks.

#39 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:09 PM

Short answer........No, there is no way ..unless the receiver has been registered before the 1986 ban on MG manufacturing or you have to be a Class II manufacturer.

#40 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:02 PM

Spoke with Don at Omega today. He described the crates in those photos perfectly. Said they had been held over in Huston and delivered on the 18th or the 19th. He also said that they were gone through but that was normal checking for receivers. Would these crates be released if they were considered contraband?

Damon