28 Parts Kits

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#41 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:13 PM

It looks to me like the new bottom line is that smg kits can be legally imported, contrary to all that has been posted here, insisting that it cannot be done. The proof is in the pudding. What more can anybody say? T-man Greg even inspected the incoming crates personally.

This is Indeed great news!
Finally some sense being exersised ohmy.gif
Zamm

#42 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Mar 29 2005, 08:49 PM)
It looks to me like the new bottom line is that smg kits can be legally imported, contrary to all that has been posted here, insisting that it cannot be done.  The proof is in the pudding.  What more can anybody say?  T-man Greg even inspected the incoming crates personally.

Anybody still care to insist it can't be done, or that a whole string of agencies are just making an unbroken chain of mistakes?

Phil, it would appear you are exactly right sir. blink.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif You won't find me complaining. cool.gif Best, Walter

#43 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:18 AM

hardrede, I just wondering why you are so dead set on getting these shipments stopped.. you seem to revel in the thought that you are right about the illegality of them.

I SAID MONTHS AGO THAT THIS RUSSIAN STUFF WAS ILLEGAL!!!!! I AM LAUGHING MY ASS OFF NOW KNOWING THAT I WAS CORRECT.  AS WELL, IF YOU BOUGHT A KIT FROM ARIZONA, EXPECT A CALL FROM THE ALPHABET SOUP GUYS TO SEE YOUR PARTS!!!!   laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif 

By your own words you have diligently tried to get the importers in a legal wrangle with the US Govt.

I have been saying for three years that this stuff is illegal. I have called Defense Trade Controls at the US State Department and they have been very unhelpful. Many people are at risk from shady importers that do not care that they are jeopardizing the liberty of their customers!!!!

And you are also misstating what T-Man said:

As well, "T-Man" stated that this was a U.S. Munitions List violation

What he said was that he "thought" that they were illegal to import but wasn't sure..

How did these get here? It was my understanding that Lend-Lease Thompson parts and mags were verboten to be reimported. Did things change?

So far as I can see you have gone "Above and Beyond" the scope of just making sure they are legal or illegal.... you seem to "want" people to get burned since they didn't listen to you, so you are pointing fingers and trying to raise red flags to the Govt. about it and basically "Quisling" on people........your world must be pretty small to want to do this...

I may be wrong as hell but this is the way you look to me and quite possibly to a lot of people.

#44 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:11 PM

I wonder who is responsible for enforcing retransfer authorizations? Not the ATF evidently. Customs? Well they passed it through as well. What could the penalty be if not done properly.

hardrede,

I spoke with these folks a while back on your reccomendation. The gentleman I spoke with (can't remember his name) said that these things were caught by customs...not the ATF. Violators were then notified of the omission and fined/caused to pay fees. He never mentioned contraband, confiscation, or unwanted visits.

BTW...spoke with Christian (supposedly the boss at IMA) and he said that the kits were freshly imported. The kits IMA has have the same features as the ones at Omega and Don at Omega said they came from the same source in the UK.

Not claiming to know everything here just dishing it out as I get it.

Damon

#45 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (TommyGunner @ Mar 30 2005, 12:11 PM)
The gentleman I spoke with (can't remember his name) said that these things were caught by customs...not the ATF. Violators were then notified of the omission and fined/caused to pay fees. He never mentioned contraband, confiscation, or unwanted visits.

Damon, it sounds like the fines are being treated as simply one of the costs of doing business, and business is apparently doing very well right now. blink.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#46 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:17 PM

Its interesting how much space this issue gets - who really gives a rip?

#47 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:29 PM

Its interesting how much space this issue gets - who really gives a rip?

Ron,
As being one of the select few who have been visited by our freinds
from the BATF, and not in a "come on in and have coffee" kind of way, I certainly do...
If I decide to buy a parts kit, or for that matter, a screw,
from IMA, Ohio ord., Omega, etc... I would like to know that what ever we purchase does not
come back to haunt us in the future because of a mis-interperted law or such.
Plus, it's kind of neat to see how the laws are written and actually represented/carried out. smile.gif
Zamm

#48 moparnascar

moparnascar

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:58 PM

If I personally was one that inspected the crates, and there was no receivers/guns, I would have said nothing. They are just parts kits. The more the merrier. I sure would not be pointing fingers and calling anyone. Just my opinion.

Bill

#49 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Mar 30 2005, 11:18 AM)
hardrede, I just wondering why you are so dead set on getting these shipments stopped.. you seem to revel in the thought that you are right about the illegality of them.

I have to agree with Hawkeye_Joe's assessment of hardrede. He seems to take such glee in trying to create legal problems for anyone he perceives to have committed some sort of infraction.
He truly seems to revels in his self appointed roll of JR. G-man.

#50 Tman

Tman

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Firearms, in general

Posted 31 March 2005 - 10:28 AM

I have placed a call to the Imports Branch in HQ and am waiting for someone to call me back. I will try to get your questions answered the best I can.

#51 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:20 PM

Ah, Ron,
Wondering where you been rolleyes.gif
Good stuff as usual wink.gif
Zamm

#52 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (hardrede @ Apr 4 2005, 08:03 PM)
Well, the asshole rears his ugly head again!!!!

This is where the post went south as far as the Mods are concerned. End it now. I can tolerate tongue-in-cheek parodies, but name calling is preschool.

#53 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 05 April 2005 - 10:10 AM

i deleted all.and will move on....peace to everybody...

#54 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

When 20 people say you are inebriated, you should lie down.

#55 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 291 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:42 PM

Thanks to the Thompson board, I've had enough and will seek other sources of information and discussion.

Balder

#56 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

I love this Forum.... smile.gif