• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:37 PM

German production, original title "Der Untergang" (2004) with English subtitles and absolutely the best film about the last week of WWII in Berlin. Maybe one of the top five best WWII films of all time!

#2 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1030 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:00 AM

Arthur: Is it out on DVD? Where can you get it?

#3 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2948 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

No Tommy Guns in Berlin during the last week of WWII sad.gif

#4 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:22 AM

hawknest:
This film was just released this weekend nation wide. It was only showing in LA and New York when it premiered beginning of March. You might have to find it at your local art house type theater since it is not in wide distribution. This is an all German cast unknown to American audiences and they are head and shoulders above anything Hollywood could muster for this portrayal of the last days in Hitler's bunker. The central figure, next to Hitler (Bruno Gratz) , is his secretary, Traudl Junge (Alexandra Maria Laura), whose remembrances of this period are the basis for the film.

TD,
Yeah, just the Russian PPSH's. MP-40's/44, MG 42's, panzerfausts, sounds of Katusha rockets, etc.

#5 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

One of the lucky things about living in Manhattan is access to movies like this. It's playing at the Film Forum on Houston.

Thanks for the tip - I will check it out - although 155 mins seems long to me.

#6 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1030 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:02 PM

If it is as good at "Das Boot", "Stalingrad" (B&W 1958), "Stalingrad" (1993) or "Die Brucke" (the Bridge) then 155 minutes will pass way to fast!

#7 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

I must agree with Arthur, this,"Der Untergang," looks likely to be one of the best films on the last days of WWII Berlin. Here is a link to a decent site, which includes a trailer and some clips of various scenes. blink.gif smile.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

http://movies.yahoo....2134&cf=trailer

#8 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 07:30 PM

Guys,
As good as the original version of "Das Boot" was this is even better in that these incredible actors are playing well known figures of the Axis and trying to recreate a period that only those who were there could describe. It's as if the viewer is a voyeur into an event that is unfolding as one is watching. Now of course the problem is can a film live up to the expectations I have described. Just go in thinking this is "Private Ryan" and you will be rewarded in that it is way better.

Walter,
Thanks for posting the link. This will definitely take word of mouth to get the recognition it deserves.

#9 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4617 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

I don't generaly go to movies. But I do believe that I will have to find this movie playing in Indy and go to it. I watched all the clips and all I can say is it looks great. Good find there Arty.

#10 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

"Kameraden, join me in my Fuhrer Bunker for a great party; it's sure to be a blast,ja!"-A.H. blink.gif cool.gif user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
"Some of these photos were taken at my other hang-outs, like Berchtesgaden, and Wolf's Lair, (East Prussia)."-A.H.

"In younger days I was a real mesmerizer, of crowds, and women!"-A.H.
user posted image

#11 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

Have any of you gone to see "Der Untergang?" I saw it recently at an arthouse in my area. I thought it was well done and historically accurate, etc. smile.gif My only quibble would be with the depicticion of the Soviet soldiers simply letting Hitler's secretary (Traudle Junge) and a young Hitler Youth (tank destroyer) simply pass by unmolested and unquestioned! ohmy.gif blink.gif I found that hard to believe. cool.gif

Regards, Walter