Inter American marked Thompson

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wetboyz

wetboyz

• Regular Group
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 11:43 AM

i have a marked Savage M1 Auto Ordnance (papered M1a1)I am trying to figure out. unsure.gif
It has stamped on the receiver INTER AMERICAN
It also has stamped on it below that in one area: SAC' TO CA on it.
gEg with circle stamp- inspector
5 digit gun. L rear sight looks arsenal refinished. e mail for pics if you can help or need them.

What can you tell me about Inter American or the markings? It also has the fixed bolt design. Thanks for the help. smile.gif

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2425 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 15 July 2003 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

This would be the mark of the importer that reimported the gun from overseas years ago. Lots of Thompsons were brought back years ago and the importers were required to mark the gun in some fashion.

The company was probably based in Sacramento, CA. I think this topic came up once quite awhile ago on the old list.

#3 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:11 PM

GEG stands for George E. Goll the Auto Ordnance Inspector

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:59 PM

Inter American Import, Sacramento Ca. Was one of several gun wholesale & import companies operated from Sacramento since the before the 70ís when I became aquatinted with them. If it was a gun and could be imported, they did.

If by "fixed bolt" you mean the firing pin is machined into the bolt face, this woudl be the M1A1 model

#5 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:00 PM

Inter American Import, Sacramento Ca. Was one of several gun wholesale & import companies operated from Sacramento since the before the 70ís when I became aquatinted with them. If it was a gun and could be imported, they did.

If by "fixed bolt" you mean the firing pin is machined into the bolt face, this would be the M1A1 model

#6 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 699 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 05:48 PM

I have a bunch of stuff from them. They are still around, but go by many names. Old Sacramento Armoury, New Helvetia and NMC to name a few. Based at 2215 J Street, Sacto Ca. They answer the phone "Sales" and won't know what you are talking about when you ask about them importing pre-samples.

#7 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 23 July 2003 - 05:40 AM

FWIW, I believe there is just such a marked Thompson featured on page 119 of American Thunder.