New Auto Ordnance Drums Compared To Originals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Diane

Diane

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:14 PM

What I'd like to know is what is the difference between the new manufacture Drums from Auto Ordnance and the original that looks just the same? Or does it look the same?

Are the markings the same as one of the many various models that were produced during the years prior to these new one?

From what I can tell, if I'm going to use a drum magazine, why purchase an original one if the new ones will do the job and are so much less expensive?

#2 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:27 AM

I would suggest you read the many prior messages about the new garbage sold as a "thompson" drum.
You get what you pay for - if you just want something to show - great - if you can even get it into a gun.
Read the ads which AO (Kahr) states might not work - thats the understatement of the year.
My guess is that there are 50 -100 prior message about the new drums.

#3 Diane

Diane

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:19 AM

Thank you Ron, there are so many messages that sometimes it's just much easier to ask the question again.

Guess I'll just have to get myself an original.

Diane Sutton
NRA Life Member since 1971

#4 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

To answer your question:

The new ones don't work and the old ones do. Thats all I have to say about that.

#5 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:48 PM

Not only do the old ones work, but they are intrinsically much more valuable since they have historic value, and will always appreciate in value better than the new junkers.