• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 philasteen

philasteen

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1118 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:20 PM

People like to bitch about the rules at Sturmgewehr, but subguns tolerates this kind of ad and worse. I prefer Strumgewehr to this BS, if I want an auction I will go to Devine.

#22 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

I have been led to understand the late J. Curtis Earl was known to refinish a '21 or two. I'd kinda think a lot of those are being sold now at $25K plus.

Throw a fresh coat on this one and how is it any different?

#23 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

Merry,
If the buyer is incapable of recognizing a re-blue, then they will not know that the value of the weapon is about 40% less than one that was not re-blued. Any Colt TSMG that was in Earl's possession is suspect in more ways than just a re-bluing. But since there is such a premium on original finish, perhaps the market should be more appreciative of the unavoidable type of wear these 84 year-old weapons would accumulate over the years. Scratches, bluing diminution in handling areas and color deepening of the wood are to be expected on any firearm of this age. If there are entire areas of bluing loss, or conversely scratches that have been blued over, it should be obvious that these two finishes are pretty much equal in devaluation.

#24 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:20 AM

It is great that he is trying to get the most cash, but he needs to be upfront.
If he wants an auction then place it on the acution board.

I may just tell he $40K to bump up the price some more than tell him I changed my mind. tongue.gif