• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 air7thcav

air7thcav

• Regular Group
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:07 AM

i kahr semi 1927a1, i need a new barrel. would an original 1928 barrel
fit this?also, where can i find a barrel. I already have the short barrel paperwork done.

Rich

#2 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

Short Thompson barrels

Buy right from the source.

#3 Nav4

Nav4

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:47 AM

Or you could save $100 and go hereNumrich gunparts

Edited by Nav4, 08 April 2005 - 08:47 AM.

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:25 AM

The last TSMG barrels I got from NAC (~ 8 months ago) were returned, as I considered them useless.

The Kahr barrels are serviceable.

I am in the process of setting up to make my own as I don’t like the quality of anthing currently on the market.

#5 Dylan

Dylan

• Regular Group
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:30 PM

Another barrel source

#6 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:51 PM

Don't waste your money on a Bbl from Kahr - I have purchased two of them in the past and the chambers were poor and undersized. If PK is going to make Bbls I would wait for his product as I have always been happy with his work. If you can't wait then go with a surplus Bbl from a parts kits if in good shape. If it were me, I would stick with PK... Just my 2c,s .

#7 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 08 April 2005 - 07:38 PM

PK--
What is the problem with the NAC barrel? Is there anyway you can identify these barrels? I believe I may have purchased some on Ebay some years ago.

#8 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:21 PM

I’ve put a lot of NAC barrels on guns for shooters over the years. They always required chamber work and such, but finished up fine. The steel was soft and the bores were always just fair. It took them (NAC) a long time to use up the supply they had on hand and were out of stock for a while last year. When they finely got back into production I ordered a batch and was aghast at what I received. Some thirteen year old must have been hired to run them over a belt sander with an 80 grit belt, including the front sight boss, threaded or not. The bores were lousy. I sent them all back.

The Kahr barrels are decent steel but the bores aren’t mil spec. There are broken edges where they are supposed to be sharp & the contours don’t always meet spec to fit foregrips properly.

I have been working with a major barrel maker and have received a limited number of blanks that I am happy with, meeting the mil spec for steel alloy & hardness and bore dimensions. They shoot very well. I hope to offer them in all styles in the near future, thy will be better than even surplus barrels, running more concentric at the least. I was driven to do this by the lack of good barrels that I needed to service guns in house, but will offer as parts as well.

#9 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:51 PM

I purchased one from Numrich gunparts and sure enough had to send it off to PK to be fixed.

#10 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

The 10.5" I received from NAC was like a cactus.
Not kidding!
It felt like you could get slivers in your fingers from it. The chamber was undersized as well.

With PK fixing everything and it seems ok.
Shoots very accurately.

But again I shouldn't have needed PK to do anything to it other then install it.