- - - - -

Wtb Wh 1927a-1/ A-5

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

Hey guys, since I'm being limited to not owning a 1928 FA Thompson by the state of Illinois, I was trying to find the next best thing, a West Hurley 1927A-1 or 1927A-5. If anyone knows of something, please let me know. Thanks.

#2 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 10:38 PM

Warden,

I would advise going with the 27A-1 (carbine) instead of the 27A-5 (pistol) for two reasons:

1) The pistol costs more because only a few were made, and....
2) The pistol is made from aluminum alloy. It wears down much quicker than the 27A-1 (made of steel.)

If you just want one for display purposes, then the pistol might be the better choice.

My $.02 worth...

Norm

#3 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

Hey Norm, I do own a 1927-A-5. I have'nt put too many rounds through it, but it is a good shooter. I especially like it for it's 13 1/2" barrel length. I wan't to get an older West Hurley A-1 or another A-5, even if the A-5's are made of alloy.

#4 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 08 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

Now that the ban has lifted, maybe Kahr will make an 27A5 pistol made of steel instead of aluminum.

#5 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:26 AM

Norm, If Kahr made a steel A-5, it would be terrible to fire (the extra weight). My alloy one is bad enough, that's why I was considering a buttstock. The more I think about it, the A-1 IS the best way to go. Back to BATFE to legally install a 10 1/2" barrel.

#6 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:07 AM

Warden,

Are you aware that there is no BATFE approval needed to put a removable stock on a 27A1? Many people have had their guns modified for a removable stock. Also, it will fit into the WH/Kahr reproduction FBI case once this is done.

Both PK and Damon (Tommygunner.com) can do this modification.

I know the 10.5 inch barrel looks great, but it costs $200 and 90 days.

Norm

#7 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 10:36 AM

I was going to add a stock to my 1927A-5. That would require ATF approval, being that with the addition of a buttstock, that weapon would be a SBR. After talking to you guys, I'm thinking that a 1927A-1 would be the best choice, but that 16" barrel (18" with comp.) looks pretty bad. A one time payment of $200.00 to the feds for a 10 1/2" barrel isn't too bad, look what I spend on cigarettes.

#8 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Damon over at Tommygunner can install the Cuts OVER the Barrel to create a shorter overall look. Just look at my link below on '27A1 Modifications.