1928 Thompson Found Behind Closet

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 30 April 2005 - 06:07 PM

Norm is correct. The ATF Agent is misinformed. If it isn't registered it can't be, period! The exception would be a Form 10, which can only go to Law Enforcement or Government Agency, so that's out. Illinois doesn't allow individual transfer/ownership. They used to have exemptions, years ago, but not anymore. If he was a Class 3 Dealer, that would be okay but if the gun isn't registered, that's out, too!

Poorly written article. The Agent quoted doesn't really know what he is talking about and the writer obviously didn't do any research. Typical for the press in this country lately and for government representatives.

#42 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 01 May 2005 - 08:12 AM

When has the liberal press ever written any article about NFA ownership,machine guns,etc.,and conveyed the truth!...especially in Illinois... wink.gif ..if Mr.Mayes ever gets the 28 back he can send it down here and get a tan when he visits it.. biggrin.gif .. wink.gif

#43 Freddie

Freddie

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:11 PM

Y'all are beating on the liberal press for this or that misinformation, but the gun ain't sitting in a newspaper editor's office right now, is it? No.

It's sitting in a Pig Sty, tucked away all safe from dangerous John Q. Publick, who made the mistake of calling the Pigs in the first place. Mr. Chief Pig says: "Shoots real sweet." Yeah, I'll bet it does, Mr. Pig, and I'm sure you do want to keep it for "posterity's sake." Not to mention an occasional ratta-tat-tat at the local Pig Range, when you get the urge. And now that Mr. Big Pig has had a chance to shoot his booty, he understandably wants to keep his little pickled feet latched tight onto this sweet prize. I can see him grinning from here, little bits of sooie dripping off his chin, and onto his clean starched blues.

What's that you say? Don't blame the Pigs for just doing their jobs? Well, I agree that it's the politicians who are most to blame. But I also hold the enforcers of immoral laws responsible for their actions. "We juss doin our jobs, mistah J.Q. Publicks. Aftah all, you's smaht enuf to elect law makuhs, but you's shuah nuff aint smaht to take care of yooselfs."

As much as I hate lawyers, I will never, EVER trust Pigs. Not all cops are pigs. But these cops are Pigs, and give every good one a bad name. The next crap I take will be in honor of Sheriff Paul Kaupas.

#44 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4621 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:43 AM

Freddie, I would say welcome to the boards, but that is a VERY bad way to start it off. There are a lot of Police officers here and many of US work very close with the local Police departments. Yes there are a very few bad apples. But using a term some slack jawed hippie from the 60's or 70's would use, won't go here.

#45 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth Mike, but if I was to respond in my own language, I'd be kicked off the board. Dave

#46 chopperjimmy

chopperjimmy

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:30 AM

Dear fellow Thompson enthusiasts and Americans:
I am an honerable Police officer and a firearms collector. I am also a NRA certified Tactical rifle instructor, Urban rifle, pistol, and shotgun instructor. I am a brother, son, and a father who honors life, hard work, and ethics. I have always attempted to do the right thing in my job as a police officer within the written law and the spirit of the law. I own numerous class 3 firearms and suppressors. I am a supporter of Democracy (which means that I support the United States Constitution and my states Constiutution and gives me and everyone else in this Country the right to change things like laws if I don't like a particular law) I may not like particular laws which gives me the right to attempt to legally change them by voting in individuals that I consider to be quality and who share my perspective. Freddie, if you think that certain laws are immoral and that cops are immoral because they enforce whichever law that you consider immoral-then there are inflamatory words to describe people like you that look at life that way too. Maybe we should live in the Democracy according to Freddy and not the Democracy of "We The People." I may not like what you have to say.....
May God bless America.
ChopperJimmy

#47 TM76

TM76

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 253 posts
  • Interests:Riding my Harley ,Traveling, Shooting my Tommy Gun, Target shooting, Teaching my kids,grandkids safety with firearms.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

I agree with Mike, we don't need that kind of talk on this board.
See Ya
Tino

#48 ACV2

ACV2

• Regular Group
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:47 AM

Whoa Freddie ! !

Completely out of order, man.

You are obviously in the wrong forum for your kind of hateful behaviour.

As far as I, and most people in this forum, I am proud of my 'pigs'. I respect them and appreciate them.
I have NEVER known a 'pig' as you put it, to be anything but honest, hard working and decent individuals.

The 'pigs' who rushed in to help people in the World Trade center were HEROES and they, and all LEO, have my admiration and sincere thanks.

Next 'crap' (your word) that you take use a mirror...you'll be looking at yourself.

Carlos

#49 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Freddie,
Hmmmmm, me thinks you got an agenda...
No way to talk about a vast majority of people who put their
very lives on the line.
A little therapy might be in order.
Besides, who the hell use's that term anymore?!
geeeeez dry.gif
Zamm

#50 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

Freddie, that is extremely uncharitable. ohmy.gif In every walk of life there are a certain percentage who are 'dirty', unprincipled, arrogant or lacking good character; I'm sure it is no different in police work, medicine, journalism, law, politics, fishing, education, storekeeping, etc, etc, etc. blink.gif If you disagree with a law, work to change it! mad.gif cool.gif

Regards, Walter

#51 Lotusnut

Lotusnut

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

In my line of work in the ER, I come across local officers and state troopers all of the time. I have yet to come across one that wasn't courteous, professional, and enjoyable to talk to.

Even the odd occasion when I have been pulled over, I have always experienced courteous behavior. Maybe its because I try not to act like a jerk, but I believe most officers do try to be pros and I admire the work that they and folks in the armed forces do.

This type of "pig" talk is truly juvenile...

#52 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:48 PM

Nip it in the bud or you just might get lead poisoning.

#53 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

I know there are bad ones out there, but the officers I have come to know and respect have provided unending support of my interests, and I theirs. One of them I consider a good shooting buddy and he drove me out to pick up one of my Thompsons. They enforce the law and if we didn't have them we'd be up a creek. Freddie, welcome to the board, but hope you can appreciate that and respect the tone expressed by our fellow members.

#54 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:02 PM

We all beat poor Freddie up a little bit, the punk tucked his tail and ran . wink.gif

#55 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1259 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Regarding little Freddie's rant, I'd like to see him recite that same verse on a city bus, in a church, at a grocery store, on the sidewalk in front of the hardware store, at the farmer's front door, addressing the 1st grade class, how about the VFW Hall, or you name it, the list goes on. My advice is, put a sock in it with that brand of 'merde'. Others here have expressed their positive views regarding law enforcement personnel. I heartily agree with them. OK, I'm done.

#56 Freddie

Freddie

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Freddie didn't run. He went to work today. Now he's home.

Having participated on other boards for years, I'm quite familiar with forum etiquette, and wouldn't be surprised if I were banned for what I said. However, since I do not plan on posting outside this thread, there's really no pressing need for that. I simply happened to come across a link to this site last night and thought I'd enjoy passing an hour or two reading about one of my favorite subjects, then move on.

Unfortunately, the first thread I opened was this one. And I was so offended by what I read that I let loose with both barrels, so to speak. It's that simple. What I said was intended to apply only to those to who it applies, and I said as much.

What we have here, in this story, is abuse of power. To be fair, whatever abuses are suffered by the citizens of Illinois with respect to firearms ownership are due to either their ignorance of natural rights, or to apathy. Or both. They elect politicians who are willing to pass these immoral laws, and I assume they are not disappointed by the results. I'm not pointing a judgmental finger at Illinois. The same slide into tyranny is happening lots of other places, including where I live.

But what we also have here, in this story, is something that, for some reason, offends me even more than abuse of power: arrogance. It's one thing to be screwed by someone in a position of power; it's quite another to see a smirk on his face while he's doing it. And that's exactly what this sheriff is doing--he's smirking. Several of you folks people here seem to consider the finder of the firearm naive for calling the cops in the first place, or before he'd hired an attorney. Why? Don't you trust the cops? Actually, no, you don't, not when it comes right down to it. Some of you think he either shouldn't have called the cops at all, or should have retained an attorney beforehand.

But that's not what happened. Mr. Good Citizen, Mr. Respect-the-Law, did what any good law-abiding citizen should do (wink). He called a peace officer to make sure everything was be on the up and up. In return, he got his find confiscated, and got to watch a smirking sheriff gush about his new sweet-shooting prize. Not even a thank you. That's arrogance. If you all can't see that, and understand the danger it poses, then I guess I can understand the offense taken at my post. Some of you guys seem more ticked off at the media misinformation than you do with what precipitated it. I can't understand that, especially considering the subject of the this forum.

Well, there ya go. Good luck.

#57 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:34 AM

Several of you folks people here seem to consider the finder of the firearm naive for calling the cops in the first place, or before he'd hired an attorney. Why? Don't you trust the cops? Actually, no, you don't, not when it comes right down to it. Some of you think he either shouldn't have called the cops at all, or should have retained an attorney beforehand.

I think most of those who commented about the finder's naivity were in disdain of our current MG law, not so much its enforcers. You do make a point though, in this particular case there appears to be an undue arrogance/ ignorance on the part of the chief, deciding to keep the bullets, or even the stripped parts. Maybe the show is still out concerning these items. We'll see.

#58 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4621 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:56 AM

Maybe it's not over for the owner yet.

not over yet

#59 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2444 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:38 AM

Mike,

A link to an earlier version of that article was posted before. What doesn't make sense in the article is that the ATF Agent says he could register the weapon with ATF. How can he register the weapon with ATF is it isn't already registered? I thought they weren't taking anymore registrations? An unregistered weapon can be registered on a Form 10, but that is a dead-end registration. A Class 3 Dealer could take possession of it, but the finder can't get it back for two reasons: Form 10's can only go to Law Enforcement or Government Agency and Illinois doesn't allow individual transfer/possession. I suppose the dealer could sell it on behalf of the finder to a law enforcement agency, but what law enforcement agency is buying 60 year old Thompson submachine guns for it's arsenal at big bucks? How much are post 1986 Dealer Samples going for? I suppose something is better tham nothing for the finder, but he can't keep it as the article seems to suggest.

Which brings me to another point. The previous post by Freddie reveals more about his feelings about law enforcement than his understanding of Federal Firearms Registration. Whether he likes it or not the Will County Sheriff was doing his job. The gun is probably unregistered and Illinois doesn't allow possession. So what else was he supposed to do?

As a retired law enforcement officer, I don't agree with Illinois' position on firearms and I also don't admire the politicians that have allowed our individual rights to be eroded and are attempting to remove firearms from law abiding citizens. Let's face it, the criminals don't turn in their weapons and couldn't care less about laws regulating firearms. The only people restrictive firearms laws affect are the legitimate guys that enjoy firearms for shooting or collecting.

I understand Freddie's frustration about government intruding on our constitutional guarantees but his vitriol at the law enforcement officers that recovered the weapon are woefully misdirected. His post wasn't even worth getting excited about.

#60 Lancer

Lancer

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1055 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ May 5 2005, 07:56 AM)
Maybe it's not over for the owner yet.

It appears that the gun is in the possession of the ATF. The agent seems to be implying that if the gun (if not stolen or used in a crime & is registered) would be returned if the finder complies with standard NFA laws. It would seem to me that the only roadblock is Illinois law. If the finder took up residency in an NFA friendly state, it should be returned.