• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1699 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 03:49 PM

Pretty good morning today! Shot my Tom after about 20 minutes of calling. Thomas is fascinated with the bird. I thought about hunting with the tommy gun, but not quite legal to use a a rifle in Iowa. Could have picked off a couple yesterday with it though. They were out around 80 yards.

Had to share the photo.
Dan
user posted image

#2 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:37 PM

Dan,

Nice Gobbler! Can't wait until may 1st when our season starts. Hope I get as lucky. What are the stats on that bird?

Damon

#3 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1699 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:03 PM

The bird has a 9.5 inch beard, 1 inch spurs. Didn't weigh it but it felt big. Thomas is 1.5 years and the tommy gun is an A3 .22 with an english walnut stock. Had to throw in the tommy gun to keep us on topic smile.gif

#4 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

gotta weigh at least 20 lbs. Nice tropy for sure. What did you call him in with? Did you strike him the night before or locate in the morning? Man you just got me so siked up for Gobbler season! Gonna drive Erika crazy practicing the mouth calls in the car!

Your boy looks great! He is getting big. Happens so fast...Kasie just started walking on easter and have been chasing her around ever since.

Oh and that is nice wood on the Tommy...is that a tounge oil finish...just to keep the post from getting zapped. biggrin.gif

#5 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1699 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

Birchwood casey true oil finish.
user posted image

The walnut was one of two boards that I salvaged from the garage. It was lying flat and the top side was very black but I planed off the charcoal and look what came out.
Dan

#6 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:25 AM

Dan--
Great photos! Enjoyed the Tommys

#7 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

Congratulations Dan! biggrin.gif That salvaged wood is just beautiful. If any of you newbies don't know it, Dan is our resident woodman! unsure.gif blink.gif You will not find a better wood-worker, craftsman and artist. cool.gif Regards, Walter

#8 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

God, Dan, you are an artist with that furniture!
Make sure and post a photo of that deck when it's done! smile.gif
Z

#9 Elbow

Elbow

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 242 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Dan,I can hardly wait for my wood...

Nice turkey.