- - - - -

S.a. 1927a-1 Makeover

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:37 PM

Hey everybody, I picked up an older 1927A-1 last weekend and there are a few things that I want to have done to it. #1) The barrel has got to go. I'm Going to get a new one from Damon, and have the cutts comp. slid over it. (total 16.25" overall). #2) I want to put a 1928 buttstock on it. I'll need to have the frame milled (resembling a full auto) so that the top of the stock will be flush with the receiver. (not .25" below). #3) Misc. other stuff... re-finishing, EZ pull springs, etc... Oh yeah, where can I get a bolt knob that looks like the round full auto ones? If anyone out there has had these things done to their semi auto, could you let me know about it, and if you have photos of this type of work on your Thompson, could you please post them. thanks. Dave

#2 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 24 April 2005 - 07:41 PM

Send the knob off your gun to PK and he will turn it to the shape of the full auto gun. He took a 28 lower and mated it to a 27 and installed a bolt hold open device on a 27 which I own. Many photos of other guns which PK has converted are in prior posting. There are many prior postings....

#3 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:28 PM

Warden,
Here's a photo of PK's actuator shaping
from a stock 27A1 to a more proper shape
enjoy, Zamm
user posted image

#4 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Harley-Davidson motorcycles (especially the older ones), Military type weapons, and more than anything, my wife and kids.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Zamm, I'm trying to see if anyone has photos of a S.A. 1927A-1 frame milled to accept a buttstock adapter. also, I want to see a 16.25" bbl and a 18.25" bbl to see the diffrence. I appreciate any advise and all photos. Thanks again. Dave

#5 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Warden @ Apr 24 2005, 08:40 PM)
Thanks Zamm, I'm trying to see if anyone has photos of a S.A. 1927A-1 frame milled to accept a buttstock adapter. also, I want to see a 16.25" bbl and a 18.25" bbl to see the diffrence. I appreciate any advise and all photos. Thanks again. Dave

Warden, Damon at Tommygunner manufactures Stock Slide Adapters. Or he can attach one to your Frame. A couple of options with those. I also understand that Doug Richardson will again be manufacturing his '21/28 Cocking Knobs for the '27. Without a doubt, his are the absolute BEST by far.

#6 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:29 PM

Warden,
Here's my 27A1 frame with the added piece to accept the 28 buttstock
just like a 28. Both Damon and PK do this makeover.
I really don't have a comparison barrel shot for you.
Do a search on the board, you will find plenty of side by sides for the 2" shorter barrel.
Best, Z

user posted image

#7 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

That frame is really nice. I'm going to call Damon tomorrow. Thanks Zamm

#8 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 25 April 2005 - 06:13 AM

Phil--
I think the simpler explanation is that Zamm was suckled by wolves from birth, and he re-lives his fetish with tactile experiences.

#9 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:24 AM

Phil,
Although your theory has merit and considerable value,
I must own up to Sgt. "outing" me on the multiple wolf-nipple thing! biggrin.gif

And by the way Phil, that model was the 1942A"BS"F which had the 3 actuators on top and
two on the side... (in mil. speak: "1942A Bullsh*t form" ) biggrin.gif

I can't believe I'm calling what we have done by PK and Damon "makeovers" !!!!
What is this, the bloody Oprah show ! laugh.gif

Z

#10 Warden

Warden

• Regular Group
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:54 AM

O.K. Z, We won't call these "makeovers", we'll call them "customizations".

#11 Zamm

Zamm

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Warden,
Deal.
That sounds a bit more "macho" wink.gif
Z