20 Round Magazines

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bneer72

bneer72

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hi, I was wondering the best place to pick up a decent 20 round magazine. I received a 20rnd mag for my birthday from What A Country, it was beat up bad, tweaked, bent ect. It is marked Auto Ordnance, Bridgeport Conn. Thank you for your assistance as I would like to add a decent one or 2 to my collection.

#2 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 24 April 2005 - 09:12 PM

Kind of a crap shoot when you're ordering from afar...as in "not looking at the mag close up". Are you going to be shooting rounds thru the mag, or is it just for display?

#3 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:23 AM

I have ordered over 50 mags in the last year from places like "what a country" most have been in sad shape - however I have received 4 dated mags and one early no date mag. All of the mags appear to have come from the same source - some had the holes closed and some were painted olive drab.

I purchased a anvil and corrected the feed lips and all work like a champ. I blasted the pitted ones and reblued them. I see excellent 20 rd mags going for over $100. + at the shows.

You take a chance when you order without seeing the mags - but I have 5 early mags that are in 75% shape for the cost of the junk which I repaired and cleaned up.

I question if there is a single source for good clean 20 round mags and anyone with a brain knows what they are worth. The world is full of the junk and you get what you pay for!

#4 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1008 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

bneer72: Check with Ohio Ordnance Works. They have new XX mags for $30.00 each or 3 for $75.00. Not listed on their web site so call (440) 285-3481 if interested.

#5 Hawkeye_Joe

Hawkeye_Joe

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2486 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:48 AM

Does what a country have a website? Faabala was looking for some cheap beat up mags to go in his ammo box on his 42 WLA Harley for display only...

#6 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:35 PM

www.whatacountry.com

#7 bneer72

bneer72

• Regular Group
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for all the information. Yes, to the question as to using them for shooters. Thanks Brent

#8 DINO212

DINO212

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:45 AM

Check IMA. They have 5 20 round mags in an original pouch with a belt for $159.95. Several choices of manufacture.