Savage M1a1 Markings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DarinReiss

DarinReiss

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

I believe that the only difference between an Auto Ordnance produced M1A1 and a Savage produced M1A1 is the "S" stamped under the receiver directly in front of the magwell. Please confirm. I was told today that some Savage produced M1A1's were rollmarked Savage Arms on the side of the receiver.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Darin

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2421 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (DarinReiss @ Apr 27 2005, 06:23 PM)
I believe that the only difference between an Auto Ordnance produced M1A1 and a Savage produced M1A1 is the "S" stamped under the receiver directly in front of the magwell.  Please confirm.  I was told today that some Savage produced M1A1's were rollmarked Savage Arms on the side of the receiver.

Darin,

The other difference is that the Auto-Ordnance made grip frames have the words "Full Auto" on one line, the Savage made frames have the "Full Auto" on two lines. No Savage made Thompsons, 1928, M1 or M1A1 had Savage Arms roll marked on them. All WWII Thompsons have Auto-Ordnance Corporation, New York, N.Y. or Bridgeport, Ct. roll marked on the right side of the receiver.

Someone is giving you a line of B.S.

#3 DarinReiss

DarinReiss

• Regular Group
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 07:23 PM

gijive,
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought I had thoroughly read through my Thompson books but I was afraid I missed something. Almost every WWII Thompson I have had (6 or7) have been Savage's and the only notation was the little "S" stamped under the receiver.
Thanks,
Darin