Kahr's....steel Vs Aluminum?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gun Oil

Gun Oil

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 02:07 PM

I'll assume that the main difference is weight, but is their an advantage to going with the higher priced Steel framed Thompson?

New to Tommy's, so please forgive my ignorance to the product.

#2 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 30 April 2005 - 03:41 PM

Many here feel the Aluminum receivers aren't as durable.

#3 45cal

45cal

• Regular Group
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 04:38 PM

Definatley get the steel frame.

If ya want aluminum get an AR biggrin.gif

#4 Norm

Norm

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2514 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons (of course), Electronics, Physics, History, Mechanics, Collecting License Plates.

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:04 PM

If you are refering to the trigger frame, aluminum will work. It will wear out quicker. I have had few aluminum trigger frames and one of the biggest problems I had with them is that the finish is SOOOOOO delicate. it will scratch if you look at it! ohmy.gif

I would buy a steel trigger frame if I were you.

I would not buy an aluminum receiver. They are much lighter, but the ones I had (27A5 pistol) showed a lot of wear at the feed ramp.

My $.02 worth.

#5 REISINGSTAR

REISINGSTAR

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 May 2005 - 05:08 AM

Gunoil,
I agree in theory with the other board members,that steel is more durable,but I have put over 4000 rds thru my aluminum receiver Thompson with no cracking or visible signs of excessive wear.one caveat,I had PK(our resident Thompsonsmith) build a buffer system for my bolt which reduces the stress quite a bit.There is a board member that makes these buffers with an EZ-Pull spring replacement system.maybe the others will chime in with his contact info.

REISINGSTAR biggrin.gif