Wood Stocks And Attachments

Ok, I do know that from my reading and research that the Thompson's that were made during the 1940's had matching uppers and lowers and that they matched them for it and then numbered them to match with the serial numbers.

What I have not learned for sure is the serial numbers that I have seen on many of the Thompsons that are located on either of the following parts; I have seen serial numbers on the wood stocks (1928 and other models) but mostly on the 1928 variations that have a serial number on the metal attachments such as the mounting hardware for the stock to the lower receiver (trigger group), a serial number on the butt plate on the inside of that plate as well as a shortened serial number usually 4 didgits that is on the wood where the butt plate attaches.

Were these numbers at one time matching to the serial numbers that the upper and lower receiver had?

Not important as I know that so many of the parts had been exchanged due to the rebuilding of these during the war.

Just curious of that item.

I believe that you're talking about the M1928A1 guns, made mostly pre-war. For these, the only matching serials on the gun are on the receiver and frame, as you've noticed. You will find production codes and markings on the stocks, stock mounts, and butt plates, but these bear no relation to the gun's serial, unless it is coincidental. My gun, M1928A1 Sn. S-332xxx follows this pattern.

I saw a photo a while back taken at the Savage plant captioned as racks of M1928A1s completed and ready for shipping. The guns were racked horizontally and had no stocks mounted to them. It looked as if no effort was being made to keep any particular stock with any given weapon. I wish I could find this photo so that I could post it here. Others will probably know better than I on this one.

The stock assemblies were were built up of finished parts and the tolerances of the parts used (including the wood) were such that little if any hand fitting was required. The assemblies were not test fitted using parts in the white.

Hope this helps, and that you can post a photo or two!

Diane,

The numbered butt stocks, butt plates and stock slides on the early pre-war and WWII production 1928's and 1928A1's had no relation to the serial numbers on the receivers and grip frames. The parts were numbered so that they could be reunited to the wood butt stock after bluing. Most butt stocks you find today do not have matching numbers on the slide, butt plate or wood due to arsenal rebuilding programs.

Thank you guys for the responses to my questions. I only took a look recently at 2 of my 1928 models (both having matching receiver and lowers) that I was given by my uncle who brought them back from WWII many years ago and I won't say just how long that was. I found the numbers and that is why I had asked. I can understand why they would not have had the same serial numbers and the next time I am back at my house in Pennsylvania I will look at a few more as well as a M1 just for the heck of it.

Now that I know that the numbers are not of significance I won't mind if I replace the wood with better original wood that I have. If the numbers had been matching I would not consider replacing the wood that is on them as well as possibly the metal but then none of the metal needs or warrents replacement.

Oh and by the way, if anyone has a photo of a cut-a-way Thompson that was done by the factory, I would like to either have it posted or possibly have you please send it to me.

If you know of one that has been posted here or on another site please let me know where it is located.

Thanks again guys.

Diane,

If you can, post a photo or two of your 28's ( how many do you have?)

We are nuts for photos http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks, Z

Diane, the video (now likely on DVD) of the WW2 Thompson training film has a section showing the cutaway Thompson. I'm sure it would pop up on an Internet search if you tried that. Tracie Hill's 1st book on Thompsons had a pic or 2 as well. I don't have a scanner, or I'd post a pic here.

I do have a digital camera but someone awhile back had the nerve to take my CD for the program and my old computer went south and this even older computer I did not have the program on it. I have gotten a program from the net but it has taken me hours just to get something from my camera to the computer so I do not do that or even attempt it any longer.

My Cannon Sureshot A60 is a nice camera but I will not pay the company $26 for another CD and when I had inquired that was what they had wanted. They can keep the CD for that much. I won't even ask them again.

Now that is why I cannot at this time post some photo's. If I could I would do so. But the thing is that I cannot see any posted photos that other put up either. I think it has to do with my Windows 98 system or my computer. But I cannot even see those that you guys put up.

However, if you were at Knob Creek in April and had a camera you could have taken a photo of one of the Thomopson's. I'll be back there again in October (I hope) with another one. Well, maybe a MP43 instead. But if I do bring a Thompson, I have a alloy lower that I just might put on the 28 so it's a bit lighter for me. It's a full auto lower so it works perfectly and it looks perfect. Just something to get the weight down a bit.

When I can, I will post a few photo's if that is what you guys want. Don't know if there is a seperate place to view them so I'll look over the site a bit more as I find time do do so. I'll be working on a .22 conversion unit for the next month or so. I have all the parts that I need now so that is something I want to finish up with. Don't want to buy the Cienner unit.

Regarding the cut-a-way, I have one of Tracie Hills books and will take a look in it. I may have seen it there but could have passed it over. And I will take a look on the Internet to see if I can locate one there as well.

Thank you all

Diane