What Actuator Is This ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cal50

cal50

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

I have this actuator that I want to sell. I would like to know what it came out of and what a fair price for it is. It is blued original finish in like new condition. Any guesses what it is ??? Thanks.

If anyone wants the one pictured for $80 let me know.
It's for sale!
Thanks.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Edited by cal50, 08 June 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#2 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4347 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

Looks like a Savage marked 1928A1 actuator to me.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#3 cal50

cal50

• Regular Group
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (cal50 @ Jun 5 2005, 05:16 PM)
I have this actuator that I want to sell. I would like to know what it came out of and what a fair price for it is. It is blued original finish in like new condition. Any guesses what it is ??? Thanks.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Any idea what a fair cost would be ??

#4 DC Chris

DC Chris

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 408 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

IMA has them for $185.00, NOS from demilled guns.

IMA Actuators

If yours is used (not sure by the pictures) or possibly refinished, I would start there and work down. Without examining it in person, it seems to be in good shape from the pictures.

HTH-

Chris.

#5 heckinohio

heckinohio

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Lugers, vintage machine guns, drag racing.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:57 AM

I have some Savages just like this one. I also have Savages w/S on the back. Some have knurling on the cocking knob, others dont. I wonder if the knurling differences are early versus late?????????? Or did some contractors actually make them for Savage?????? These are found at Knob Creek, prices from $100. to $150. as best I remember. Having several, I didnt shop prices too closely.

#6 PATHFINDER

PATHFINDER

• Regular Group
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (heckinohio @ Jun 8 2005, 06:57 AM)
Some have knurling on the cocking knob, others dont. I wonder if the knurling differences are early versus late?

They stoped making the knurled one in 1942 when they cheapened up the design. ie. No fins, no Lyman sight, no vertical front grip etc. etc. and no magic 'Colt' decoder ring in the butt trap. laugh.gif

#7 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2086 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:34 AM

Guys - correct me if I am wrong... but I can't see the "S" very well in the picture. If it is a square text, it may be Stevens (contractor) rather than Savage (rounded text) right?

Not really important - just trying to clarify!

#8 wildwilly2002

wildwilly2002

• Regular Group
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:03 PM

That is correct, giantpanda4.

#9 adlake

adlake

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Fords(1982 Ford Fairmont,351-C, AOD,sport style Futura.), 1920-1930 lifestyles, all thompson guns (except M-1).

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

Hi all, rather than post a new topic I'll borrow this one if Cal50 don't mind. I bought a actuator from IMA and it looks like the one pictured here and looks like it was installed but used little if any, but the question that I have is that it seems to be finished in a reddish-purple, bluing. I looked in Franks book, and unless I am blind (which sometime she tells me.) The book never mentioned anything on this finish. Any ideas-adlake

#10 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:17 AM

Phil is correct in that reddish/ purple tones can result when black oxide is applied to certain alloys and hardness of steel, but it does not necessarily imply the part has been refinished or screwed up.

I have seen several Thompson actuators (and various other gun parts) that have turned color over time. This is likely the case with the one you have if your other observations are correct. When evaluating the use a part has seen one needs to look ‘beneath’ the blue for sighs of wear.

FWIW